[SOLVED] cant optimize settings right

Jul 29, 2019
Hello every one
My name is Sam from Australia and im new here
i have issues with settings up the pubg and fortnite games fps. when the resolution at 2k i get alot of lag and the game runs crappy even when theyre both at the lowest settings with internal game graphic setting. when running the game with OBS studio monitor recorder the cpu and gpu overheat to around 95 degrees celcius. my pc specs is as shown bellow. any suggestions or ways to better the performance of the games and pc operatiin overall is much appreciated.

RAM: DR3 16GBS
mainboard: H97N-WIFI
cpu: intel core i7 4790. 22nm
graphics: AMD Radeon 390 series.
monitor: Acer Predator XB1

Solution
Side panels usually help as it creates currents inside the case (from cold intake, though cpu to hot exhaust)
I see 2 issues:
  1. single fan on the back probably causes the lowered pressure that makes dust accumulate faster.
  2. at probably 2mm apart, could that be the reason why the gpu getting high temps? YES (try breathing though the straw), fan tries to pull the air but the clearance is so low that there is way to low to pull for cooling.
  3. something with cpu cooler, either the paste or fans set in wrong directions or something related. (not really defined YET)
So it does make a difference, but rarely outside of 3 or 4 degrees.
https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/thermal-paste-comparison,review-33969-9.html
That thing is...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

cpu and gpu overheat to around 95 degrees celcius
First port of call would be to reduce this, higher temperatures will throttle your CPU cores, and Intel should really be kept under 85 degrees at least.

I suspect you've monitored individual CPU cores % usage under load?
And GPU % usage under load?

What CPU cooler are you using? May be time to replace thermal paste and reseat the cooler, and a full case clean if this hasn't been done in a while.

Reactions: ozzy sam
A thing to start is dust cleanup. Works like a blanket, keeping anything underneath nice & warm.
If its not enough next step is to replace the paste, either its dried or applied wrongly in the beginning:
Top 4 to use and reason why:
Arctic MX-4Carbon-BasedEasy to applyNot for OC Check Price
Noctua NT-H1CeramicGood for OCNone if properly applied Check Price
Arctic Silver 5CeramicExcellent PerformanceSlightly Capacitive Check Price
Thermal Grizzly KryonautCeramicSuperior PerformanceExpensive Check Price

third thing would be either looking at case fans, if they work and if case is feeling like a boiler
or aftermarket CPU cooler that will dissipate more heat.

Reactions: ozzy sam
Jul 29, 2019

First port of call would be to reduce this, higher temperatures will throttle your CPU cores, and Intel should really be kept under 85 degrees at least.

What CPU cooler are you using? May be time to replace thermal paste and reseat the cooler, and a full case clean if this hasn't been done in a while.
thanks for the reply
ive monitored the cpu and gpu cores usuage and its showing the game throttling the gpu at around %97 and cpu at around %25 usuage but both get high temps. i bought the pc from some one and he installed the gpu and power supply too close to each other. the gpu fans very close to the power supply at probably 2mm apart, could that be the reason why the gpu getting high temps? is it normal the gpu throttles at nearly %100 when playing pubg or fortnite game? im gonna change the thermal paste and ive already cleaned the case as there was alot of dust however it didnt improve much. is there a way to to set up the cpu and gpu fans to spin at around 2000 rpm all the time? sorry if these questions dump but im new to all this gaming PCs and my trade is far from computers

Jul 29, 2019
A thing to start is dust cleanup. Works like a blanket, keeping anything underneath nice & warm.
If its not enough next step is to replace the paste, either its dried or applied wrongly in the beginning:
Top 4 to use and reason why:
Arctic MX-4Carbon-BasedEasy to applyNot for OCCheck Price
Noctua NT-H1CeramicGood for OCNone if properly appliedCheck Price
Arctic Silver 5CeramicExcellent PerformanceSlightly CapacitiveCheck Price
Thermal Grizzly KryonautCeramicSuperior PerformanceExpensiveCheck Price

third thing would be either looking at case fans, if they work and if case is feeling like a boiler
or aftermarket CPU cooler that will dissipate more heat.
thanks for the reply
ive cleaned the dust and ill be replacing the thermal paste, how many degrees on average does changing the thermal paste reduce the temps by? so the case has only one fan on the back of it, do you think ill need more fan to keep up with the temps cooling?
do the side covers of the case act as a shroud to ventalate the case?

Jul 29, 2019

by the way i think the cpu cooler and sink is the original intel 4790 cooler

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
ive cleaned the dust and ill be replacing the thermal paste, how many degrees on average does changing the thermal paste reduce the temps by?
Not very much really. You'll find they do have more optimised chemical properties though (such as insulation for example).

For example on a TH Air Cooler test:
Arctic MX-4 = 36.5 C
Noctua NT-H1 = 36 C
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut = 34.8 C
Titan Nano blue (low quality = 39.5 C

Some people even use toothpaste.

With temps as high as yours, there is probably something else at play, for example very poor application of thermal paste may cause an issue (if it has air pockets in it for example).

do you think ill need more fan to keep up with the temps cooling?
Ideally you want intake fan at the bottom front of the case, and exhaust at the top rear of the case.
So you'll want to optimise air flow, the stock intel coolers also aren't great.
What are you ambient temperatures?

Side panels usually help as it creates currents inside the case (from cold intake, though cpu to hot exhaust)
I see 2 issues:
  1. single fan on the back probably causes the lowered pressure that makes dust accumulate faster.
  2. at probably 2mm apart, could that be the reason why the gpu getting high temps? YES (try breathing though the straw), fan tries to pull the air but the clearance is so low that there is way to low to pull for cooling.
  3. something with cpu cooler, either the paste or fans set in wrong directions or something related. (not really defined YET)
That thing is true for big ass coolers, it is defined by deltas of temps between cooler and the cpu. With weak cooler, the difference of paste is bigger. (laptops are hit hardest, and its where you feel it the most)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlDTQC3wJUg

Grab inexpensive paste that have at least 5.0 W/mk and is non conductive. (best safe ones have ~12 W/mk),
conductive ones can reach ~80 W/mk but if you spill it on cpu, PC will die.

Solution
Jul 29, 2019
thanks for your help and input guys
so ive solved the issue by removing the power supply to outside the case temporarely till i get a bigger case. replaced the CPU and GPU thermal paste, cleaned the GPU fins and tubes and the temps dropped dramatically to maximum of 60 degrees while loaded with PUBG gaming and OBS studio screen recording. Ive used Deepcool Z9 thermal paste. however im not too sure if it was the paste casing the problem or the power supply being too close to GPU ,either way ill probably need a new bigger case with more fans