Can't OverClock CPU in Windows 10 Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
It's an issue with win10 and the g3258 on a non z series motherboard. Win7 and 8/8.1 have optional updates from the windows updates that include one containing microcode from intel. Win10 has it by default and it will allow overclocking if one of the two cores is disabled. They basically 'fixed' overclocking on non overclocking chipsets.

There's supposed to be a workaround. First make sure your bios is set to the default settings (factory settings). Then if you look for C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and rename it to something like C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.BAK (using the BAK as an extension short for 'backup copy') it disables it as a functioning .dll file. Reboot after changing, then you should be...
It's an issue with win10 and the g3258 on a non z series motherboard. Win7 and 8/8.1 have optional updates from the windows updates that include one containing microcode from intel. Win10 has it by default and it will allow overclocking if one of the two cores is disabled. They basically 'fixed' overclocking on non overclocking chipsets.

There's supposed to be a workaround. First make sure your bios is set to the default settings (factory settings). Then if you look for C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and rename it to something like C:\Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll.BAK (using the BAK as an extension short for 'backup copy') it disables it as a functioning .dll file. Reboot after changing, then you should be able to overclock your g3258 on the h81 board again as you would have before installing win10. Hopefully it works for you.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/77391

Edit: If you're using win10 home it may or may not last long. I don't personally have win10 loaded so I'm not sure which updates are downloaded by default, only critical, all or what. I do know there's no option in win10 home to disable updates, they're mandatory unlike pro or ultimate. If the intel microcode .dll is part of the mandatory updates then the next time win10 home automatically updates it may re-add that bit of microcode and interfere with your overclock in which case you'd have to reset the bios back to default. Intel is addressing the issue that boards with chipsets other than the z series (z87/97/170) weren't officially intended for overclocking.

Reactions: Tolis_GR
Solution
I googled that ''cant overclock with windows 10'' and seems a few reports on that like this

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3ezvik/is_it_true_you_cant_overclock_your_cpu_with/

windows 10 is so great I cant see why anyone conceders it for anything I guess one more reason to avoided and stick with something I trust and works as I need it to not as Microsoft feels I should [lol- opinion]

xJaySvveaTx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

It says I need ""TrustedInstaller""
to make changes. THx

xJaySvveaTx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

Thank you so much!
Now I have a comfortable 4.0ghz stock fan included

(Smiley Face)

Glad you got it sorted out. It wasn't much consolation only being able to overclock while disabling one of the two cores. Part of the issue is ms, the other is intel going back and plugging up 'holes' with their microcode. It's not ms's microcode, it's intel's but ms is using their update system to deliver it. As with anything, there are ups and downs to the forced updates on win10 home.

It does promote security patch employment by those who are less tech savvy (assuming the 'home' users win10 forces updates to). The downside is not all updates are beneficial and some ms updates have caused performance downgrades or incompatibility in the past where until a new fix was introduced the better choice was rolling back to a state before the offending update.

Status
Not open for further replies.