Question can't overclock memory after a cpu upgrade.

Dec 12, 2019
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my cpu (ryzen 1600) to a 3600. I've been able to overclock with little problems before the change. The motherboard i'm using is a MSI tomahawk arctic b350. My memory (corsair vengeance LPX 3000) is currently stuck at 2166. Even the slightest clock change causes my memory to be unstable . Anyone know might be the cause of this?

Dec 12, 2019
Hello,

I've recently upgraded my cpu (ryzen 1600) to a 3600. I've been able to overclock with little problems before the change. The motherboard i'm using is a MSI tomahawk arctic b350. My memory (corsair vengeance LPX 3000) is currently stuck at 2166. Even the slightest clock change causes my memory to be unstable . Anyone know might be the cause of this?

Hello,

One thing I've noticed on my board is I have to FIRST enable XMP and set memory voltage to the higher setting it requires to operate at the XMP rated speed. Don't depend on XMP to set the right voltage. Then after rebooting I can set the clock speed, voltages and timings I want for an overclock.

Not sure why that works, but if I just dive right in with manually setting clock speed and timings and voltage it either fails and resets BIOS or is unstable.

Also: be sure and set Overclocking mode to Advanced as it opens up more timings to tweak for stability.

Reactions: DMAN999