Question Cant overclock memory to rated speeds?

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
Hey, I have an Asus B450-F motherboard with a Ryzen 7 2700X and I just bought some new Trident Z Royals rated at 3200Mhz. (I did clear the CMOS already because when I first put them in, it wouldn't post at all but now it does.)

However, when i try to load the XMP profile that has it set to 3200Mhz my pc won't boot. It will just restart and say it had to load previous memory settings. And when i try to overclock it manually, the highest I can get to is 2866Mhz.

I have no idea what the issue is here and I have been playing around with it for hours. Any help would be appreciated.

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
What kit did you buy, specifically? Full model number?
I know the Royals kit were available in both CL14 and CL16.

Are you on the latest BIOS? You may have to manually set the timings, opposed to enabling DOCP...
they are the F4-3200C16D. Im pretty sure im on the latest bios but i will definitely double-check. Also i dont see a section to set the timing manually in my bios. Only have the option to enable DOCP and i can change the MHz if i want. I have the exact same bios as see in JayzTwoCents video here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZRjoeyz4Z0

And at 13 minutes you can see him just select the DOCP profile and thats it lol. Thats what im trying to do but it wont post.

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
What kit did you buy, specifically? Full model number?
I know the Royals kit were available in both CL14 and CL16.

Are you on the latest BIOS? You may have to manually set the timings, opposed to enabling DOCP...
So i just updated my BIOS. However, it didn't solve my problem. Funny thing is my buddy was having the exact same issue as me and it fixed his problem just fine. But mine will still not post at 3200Mhz.

I believe Barty was suggesting this to you as a fix so that you could enter in slightly slower timings than what the DOCP profile attempts to apply. The basic timings of the overclocked memory should have been specified in your memory packaging, or available for you to lookup online.

Trident does not appear to be on your motherboard QVL for ram. from the documentation available on the ASUS website. This does not necessarily mean it that it can't run (it MIGHT have failed, it might not have), but either testing was not done with that memory, or it didn't pass.
My understanding is Ryzen is much more picky about compatible memory.

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
I believe Barty was suggesting this to you as a fix so that you could enter in slightly slower timings than what the DOCP profile attempts to apply. The basic timings of the overclocked memory should have been specified in your memory packaging, or available for you to lookup online.

Trident does not appear to be on your motherboard QVL for ram. from the documentation available on the ASUS website. This does not necessarily mean it that it can't run (it MIGHT have failed, it might not have), but either testing was not done with that memory, or it didn't pass.
My understanding is Ryzen is much more picky about compatible memory.
Damn. Do you have any board recommendations that do support this RAM? Because i can still return the B450 and get a different one.

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I would get Thaiphoon Burner and check what the manufacturer is, SK Hynix, Micron or Samsung.
I think Hynix and Micron likes a bit higher tRCDRD/tRCDWR. So with 16-18-18-18 timings, you can try 16-19-18-18. Or 16-19-19-18.
Just to be sure, try ridiculous timings like 20-26-26-26 and see if it boots. Then bring the timings down if it does.

Reactions: DMAN999
My apologies Joren, you specified Trident , not G-skill. Motherboard manufacturer QVLs are generally listed by MANUFACTURER and MODEL NUMBER. Look up your EXACT model of ram to see if it is compatible with your B450-F. Some G-skill models are on the Asus QVL

Last edited:

Joren.Mackenroth

Commendable
Jul 16, 2019
My apologies Joren, you specified Trident , not G-skill. Motherboard manufacturer QVLs are generally listed by MANUFACTURER and MODEL NUMBER. Look up your EXACT model of ram to see if it is compatible with your B450-F. Some G-skill models are on the Asus QVL
The B40-F was not listed however the X470 Prime Pro was so I went ahead and bought that one.

Reactions: DMAN999