Question Cant overclock my 9700K

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Hi, is my first time doing an overclock. I have a i7-9700k and i tried a range from 1.30v to 1.38V at 5000MHZ cpu clock ratio and an uncore ratio of 4.7GHz. However it seems that i not all of the cores are working when doing a prime95 test. Also i have corsair h100i v2 water cooling radiator.
oBXnfiA.png

sDyaYSx.png

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey,

Did you check to ensure prime95 is running 16 threads before launching the test? I'm also wondering if Intel Speedstep or Speedshift are interfering with this test, as they should both be enabled by default in the BIOS. I don't have much else to suggest as i'm purely speculating here.

Reactions: neto333

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Hey,

Did you check to ensure prime95 is running 16 threads before launching the test? I'm also wondering if Intel Speedstep or Speedshift are interfering with this test, as they should both be enabled by default in the BIOS. I don't have much else to suggest as i'm purely speculating here.

Hi, im doing a Small FFT test with prime 95 at 8 threads but when i write 16 threads it says "Please enter an integer between 1 and 8" so i cant select 16, the maximun is 8.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi, im doing a Small FFT test with prime 95 at 8 threads but when i write 16 threads it says "Please enter an integer between 1 and 8" so i cant select 16, the maximun is 8.
Hey,

I'm sorry about that, I was thinking about the 9900K which has 16 threads. the 9700k has 8 threads so I apologize for the misinformation there, so that error message is actually expected.

This still makes me wonder if Speedstep or Speedshift are interfering with your expected results. I do not generally recommend disabling either of them, as they can considerably reduce CPU temps with (generally) negligible reductions to CPU speeds, but perhaps temporarily you could try turning them off and seeing how your prime95 and temps change?

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
Hey,

I'm sorry about that, I was thinking about the 9900K which has 16 threads. the 9700k has 8 threads so I apologize for the misinformation there, so that error message is actually expected.

This still makes me wonder if Speedstep or Speedshift are interfering with your expected results. I do not generally recommend disabling either of them, as they can considerably reduce CPU temps with (generally) negligible reductions to CPU speeds, but perhaps temporarily you could try turning them off and seeing how your prime95 and temps change?

Tried to disable Speedshift but still the cores are not 100% working. Also i tried a Large FFT test and all cores are working at 100% however after only a few seconds i get the blue screen.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Tried to disable Speedshift but still the cores are not 100% working. Also i tried a Large FFT test and all cores are working at 100% however after only a few seconds i get the blue screen.
What did the blue screen point to, if you remember?

Is your memory overclocked at all?

Have you tried testing with avx disabled such as shown below to see if it still crashes?
View: https://imgur.com/a/ER92wNk

neto333

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2015
What did the blue screen point to, if you remember?

Is your memory overclocked at all?

Have you tried testing with avx disabled such as shown below to see if it still crashes?
View: https://imgur.com/a/ER92wNk
I enabled the XMP profile 1, so i dont know if that counts as an overclock for the memory. I did the custom test and looks good this time. Has been running for a couple minutes now.
f9OoKbP.png

So what does that mean?