[SOLVED] Can't overclock my ram anymore

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
My ram is supposed to be able to reach 3000MHz clock speeds, and my motherboard also supports this clock speed. I've had my ram overclocked for a few months, but after I reset my cmos because I underclocked my cpu too much, I now can't overclock my ram, my pc won't start up (stuck at windows logo) until I go back to the bios and change the clock speed to the default one. How can I fix this?

Solution
Two suggestions then:

1) Go into BIOS and set the POST reporting to as verbose as possible. Objective being to observe as much as possible during the boot up process.

2) Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a true test per se because the PSU is not under load. However if any voltages are near or out of spec that would suggest a PSU problem of some sort.

It only takes one faulty/faltering PSU component to cause problems.

Over time electronics degrade due to heat. PSU manufacturers establish wattage under ideal circumstances to tout as high a wattage value as possible.

Component...

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Do you do a lot of heavy gaming, video editing, bit-mining, etc.?

My thought is that the PSU is no longer able to provide the necessary power.

May be nearing design EOL (End of Life).

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Do you do a lot of heavy gaming, video editing, bit-mining, etc.?

My thought is that the PSU is no longer able to provide the necessary power.

May be nearing design EOL (End of Life).

windows 10 home 1803, 16 gb ram 3000mhz, b450m pro max, ryzen 7 3700x, 1070ti, cx550m, 1TB hdd. my gpu is 2 years old, everything else is around 11 months old

Ralston18

Titan
I still suspect the PSU. Especially if you have been using it at the high wattage levels.

Total up the wattage requirements for all components. If a component has a wattage range use the high end value.

Then after totaling the wattages add 25% more. How close is that total to 550 watts.?

And there are online calculators available. Try two or three of them to establish a consensus regarding your computer's wattage requirements.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
I still suspect the PSU. Especially if you have been using it at the high wattage levels.

Total up the wattage requirements for all components. If a component has a wattage range use the high end value.

Then after totaling the wattages add 25% more. How close is that total to 550 watts.?

And there are online calculators available. Try two or three of them to establish a consensus regarding your computer's wattage requirements.

FYI:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html
It's more than enough

Ralston18

Titan
Two suggestions then:

1) Go into BIOS and set the POST reporting to as verbose as possible. Objective being to observe as much as possible during the boot up process.

2) Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a true test per se because the PSU is not under load. However if any voltages are near or out of spec that would suggest a PSU problem of some sort.

It only takes one faulty/faltering PSU component to cause problems.

Over time electronics degrade due to heat. PSU manufacturers establish wattage under ideal circumstances to tout as high a wattage value as possible.

Component manufacturer's likewise establish wattage requirements under ideal circumstances with the opposite intent: establish a low as possible wattage requirement.

Originally, there may have been some notable margin between what the PSU could provide with respect to wattage and what the various components demanded. With and without overclocking....

Solution