[SOLVED] Can't overclock my Ryzen 7-4800H with 1650Ti

Jun 24, 2021
Hello

So I recently purchased HP Omen 15-en0501AX, which has Ryzen 7-4800H as its processor and NVidia Geforce 1650Ti 4 GB DDR6 as the graphics card.

I want to overclock it using Omen Gaming Hub, but I can't find any options related to the same. The website says that my model en-000 can be used to boost performance from performance control, but I can't find it.

Please help

Solution
There is a more important reason to not bother.
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If people are expecting laptop components to run as well as desktop ones, then they need to really tone down their expectations.

As far as performance issues goes, I haven't really seen a problem with that, especially with thermal throttling. Though I define thermal throttling as the system unable to keep base clock speeds. And even with my Asus Zephyrus G14, I haven't seen it tip over 80C on either CPU or GPU for extended periods of time. Though you do...
According to the website:
Overclocking with AMD CPUs
Note:
AMD overclocking is available only on certain computer models with an unlocked processor, including the OMEN by HP 880-p0xx, OMEN 25L GT11-1xxx, and OMEN 25L GT12-1xxx Desktop series.
I don't see your model listed.

I'm not sure how much it applies to their laptop CPUs, but AMD's desktop CPUs have little overhead for overclocking anyway, because AMD basically makes them run damn near their limits out of the box anyway, at least on higher end SKUs. At this point, overclocking is simply for bragging rights on benchmarks and serves little practical use otherwise.

We all want something for nothing.
Long time ago, that was possible with overclocking.
Today, products are binned and will run at their maximum performance.
One could get lucky and get a better chip, but do not count on it.

If people are expecting laptop components to run as well as desktop ones, then they need to really tone down their expectations.

As far as performance issues goes, I haven't really seen a problem with that, especially with thermal throttling. Though I define thermal throttling as the system unable to keep base clock speeds. And even with my Asus Zephyrus G14, I haven't seen it tip over 80C on either CPU or GPU for extended periods of time. Though you do bring up a point. A laptop can only cool so much and its cooling capacity is shared between the CPU and GPU. So any overclocking is liking going to be a moot point if the intention is better performance in games, because the CPU is likely to reduce its power envelope first and won't reach the overclocked settings anyway.

Solution

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I actually heard that some laptops might see better long term performance (like 10 or more minutes of 100% utilization) if they are underclocked/undervolted.

The reasoning behind this is that if the CPU won't throttle and decrease the clocks to insanely low speeds, it can run at a higher clock and longer periods of time when the CPU isn't constantly slamming into the thermal limit.

TRENDING THREADS