Can't overclock new CPU Athlon X4 760K

jkcash

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Recently upgraded to a new AMD Athlon X4 760K Black Edition, 3.8 ghz stock clock (4.1 boost), and any attempt to overclock it even 100 mhz fails, causing aero effects to be disabled and instability - won't even run WEI (if using software like AMD Overdrive/MSI Control Center), and using the BIOS' auto overclock causes the computer to not even start. What's even more bizarre is when I manually use the BIOS (and I have updated it several times to different versions to try and fix this), I can't even control voltage or the clock multiplier (Multiplier and Voltage are stuck on "Auto" with no option to change, +/- buttons do nothing). MSI Control Center allows me to do that, but gives the effects before (Aero, instability).

Not really sure what's going on here, at all, but I've tried just about everything under the sun and looked extensively at threads with similar issues, but no avail. I'm starting to come to the guess that it's either the PSU or Mobo, but nothing that I've researched makes me think that it is one of those (Mobo handled my A6-5400K OC'ing fine, and the PSU seems to be sufficient to run the hardware). Besides the CPU's inability to overclock it seems to run as it should, and The 7790 overclocks fine with MSI Afterburner.
Thanks!

Mobo: MSI fm2-a75ma-e35
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K Black (Stock cooler)
GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo Radeon 7790 1GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
PSU: RD500 2SB 500W

jkcash

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hey, thanks for the answer but unfortunately I've done that a few times to different versions :(
I even put my old a6-5400K back in to see if it would overclock, and only the OC Genie (BIOS feature to auto overclock) works on it, and I still can't change the voltage/cpu multiplier. The only things I can adjust as far as overclocking goes for both of these chips is the CPU Base Frequency (which only changes up to 5 MHz), and CPU-NB ratio.
That OC Genie doesn't do much for the Athlon 760K besides make my system crash when restarting. I'm assuming it doesn't touch voltages and squeezes what it can from the stock voltage.
Also tried updating the BIOS from that older chip (which is recommended) and that didn't change anything either. I am stumped :(