[SOLVED] Can't partition/format new drive

Dajuudge

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Wizards! Assemble. I'm stuck and need some help from ya'll.

The Issue:
When I go to partition a brand new drive through disk management, it shows the disk and unallocated space but upon my attempt to create a partition it kicks back a "the parameter is incorrect" error. I next tried setting that up through Diskpart but get the exact same error there when I run create partition primary. Here is the info I'm getting from Diskpart:

Samsung SSD 860 Evo 1TB
Disk ID: {1049C07C-5D15-4C69-9F37-17AF4FD155FC}
Type: SATA
Path: 3
Target: 0
LUN ID: 0
Location Path: PCIROOT (0) #PCI (1700)#ATA(C03T00L00)
Current Read-only State: No
Read-only: No
Boot Disk: No
Pagefile Disk: No
Hibernation File Disk: No
Crashdump Disk: No
Clustered Disk: No

There are no volumes.

DISKPART > CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

DiskPart has encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect.
See the System Event Log for more information.

The odd thing is that I have had this issue on two separate and brand new drives I've tried to install. And I've swapped SATA ports and cables as well to see if there was an issue there. Also I'm not seeing any information in the Event Viewer as Diskpart referenced at the end.

I'm lost at this point. Am I looking at a motherboard issue? OS problem? Did I get lucky and get two bad drives? Let me know what ya'll think, and holler if I can provide more info.

Thanks for taking a moment to look at this!

Solution
I had tried a reset and confirmed that the SATA mode was AHCI but haven't tried an updated BIOS yet, might have to give that a shot!

I reached out to ASUS and they of course said nothing is wrong with the motherboard, so eventually when I get a break between projects I'll try a BIOS update, clear the CMOS and just see if we get lucky. It's killing to not know the cause of this haha.
I get you. One time I was sold an SSD as as working but it kept corrupting files. I was scratching my head wondering what was wrong. Turns out the SSD was bad.

Good luck with the CMOS reset and BIOS update. Hope to hear good new from you soon

Dajuudge

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Sure thing. Here's the system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro N
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LIFELINE-PRODUC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0220, 10/17/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Product ROG MAXIMUS X CODE
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Off
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.387"
User Name LIFELINE-PRODUC\Lifeline Production
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 54.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory 128 GB
Available Virtual Memory 113 GB
Page File Space 64.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Dajuudge

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
After selecting the disk in DiskPart, enter the "clean" command and then the "create partition primary" command and see if that resolves it.

Sadly, no luck. DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk but I am still met with the parameter incorrect error when I attempt to create a new partition.

Dajuudge

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
then rma the ssd

I apologize, there's a very good chance I'm wrong but I don't think that is the answer. As I stated in the original post this is happening with two separate hard drives. Of course there's always a chance I got two bad eggs, but I just successfully formatted the SSD on an alternate machine, so the SSD doesn't seem to be the issue. Ya?

This would lead me to think there is something wrong with the original machine. It's such an odd issue that I haven't run into before so I was hoping to find out what the cause is. At this point, from your experience, do you think it's a Windows issue or a motherboard issue?

Dajuudge

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Have you tried to update your motherboard BIOS? Make sure that your SSD in your BIOS is set to AHCI Mode. A BIOS reset also wouldn't hurt to try.

I had tried a reset and confirmed that the SATA mode was AHCI but haven't tried an updated BIOS yet, might have to give that a shot!

I reached out to ASUS and they of course said nothing is wrong with the motherboard, so eventually when I get a break between projects I'll try a BIOS update, clear the CMOS and just see if we get lucky. It's killing to not know the cause of this haha.

Chehab.Ibrahim

Reputable
Jan 1, 2019

I get you. One time I was sold an SSD as as working but it kept corrupting files. I was scratching my head wondering what was wrong. Turns out the SSD was bad.

Good luck with the CMOS reset and BIOS update. Hope to hear good new from you soon

Solution