[SOLVED] Can't partition HDD (SOLVED)

Jun 19, 2019
Hi there,

I just moved my OS over from my old HDD to my new SSD and everything in terms of the OS works it's just that after I deleted everything on my old HDD, as all the files were copied to my SSD, I can no longer use the majority of the disk as it remains un-allocated.

I have a 1TB HDD as when I try to partition it, I can only use about 6.8GB, the rest can't be used. If I try to add more space it says that there is not enough disk space available, even if it's just 1GB.

The weird thing is that my un-allocated space on my HDD is split into 924GB and 6.8GB separately and can't be merged with each other.

At the start I was able to partition the large marjoirty of the disk, about 920GB, but when I tried to add the remaining space I couldn't.

It seems as if for some reason the two un-allocated parts of my HDD are not compatible with each other, hence why at the start I could only get the 920GB segment and for some reason now all I can get is the 6.8GB segment but I don't know how to fix this so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Solution
Yes. Commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.

That will wipe the entirety of the drive, leaving one large blank space.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Be absolutely sure which drive you are accessing during this.

USAFRet

Titan
How did you move everything to the SSD?
Have you tested the system to verify that it boots with the HDD disconnected?

The reason you can't merge them in Disk Management there is because the two partitions are no next to each other.
And the large one is simply Unallocated.

If the system works with the HDD disconnected, then you can DELETE the two partitions...450MB and 6.84GB.
Leaving one large unallocated space.
You then select New Simple Volume, format, and give it a drive letter.

Jun 19, 2019
How did you move everything to the SSD?
Have you tested the system to verify that it boots with the HDD disconnected?

The reason you can't merge them in Disk Management there is because the two partitions are no next to each other.
And the large one is simply Unallocated.

If the system works with the HDD disconnected, then you can DELETE the two partitions...450MB and 6.84GB.
Leaving one large unallocated space.
You then select New Simple Volume, format, and give it a drive letter.

I used EaseUs to migrate my OS and all my files and have made sure that the OS boots with the old HDD disconnected so I know that all that works.

I thought there may be an issue with the two unallocated portions not being next to each other but I seem to be unable to deleted the 450MB partition, when I right click it I only have the option "Help" and nothing to do with formatting or deleting it. Is there another way to delete this 450MB partition outside disk management?

USAFRet

Titan

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Reactions: JordanDawson
Solution
Jun 19, 2019

Did this and it worked perfectly, I initialised the disk afterwards and now it has the total space available thank you so much.