can't pass security in Vista, but Safe mode works.

DaBoom

Reputable
Jun 19, 2014
The following is the scenario:
David , 6/8/2014

Acer Laptop model Aspire 8730-6951
The Windows Vista product code key is on the back of pc; no install disks were supplied with the product at purchase.

6/8/2014 – downloaded MalwareBytes.org exe to install and remove malware. Closed browsers. Execute task. After about 20 minutes, it found and removed very many maltasks (est. 100).

I closed down Windows Vista OS, and restarted, and boot appeared normal, and asked me for password. After I entered, the activity icon appeared and then –nothing.

I waited a very long time, still nothing. Eventually the screen went black, but the mouse cursor was still visible and active – responded to tracker input. Eventually (long time) a popup appeared “Logon Process has failed to execute security option dialog.” Popup has red X and “Failed Security Options”, followed by OK button. When I press OK, screen remains black, mouse cursor still active.

I forced a shutdown with the power button. When I restarted, the screen for ‘Safe mode’ came up. If I try to startup ‘Normally’, same result as above.

If I go into one of the 3 safe modes, they appear normal, i.e. I can navigate correctly. I opened a DOS window, and looked through the folders. Nothing appears out of order, so I believe that the disk drive is undamaged.

6/9/2014

I attempted to my 11/13/2011 restore disks, but ‘bailed’ when it wanted to format C:. I’m hoping to avoid that. But if it must be, I’ll now inventory what apps will need to be re-installed, and what files ,may be copied (from Safe mode) before reformatting.

Note: when windows starts up in Safe mode, popup for Login appears and passes successfully when I enter existing password; but doesn’t pass in normal Win startup.

The hard drive has a c: partition and a d: partition. Is it possible to reformat w/o destroying the d:?

I know that all drives are working properly from reading them through the DOS window.

Solution
This could be the result of a corrupted user profile. In safe mode, create a new administrator account and see if you can successfully log into that account.