Can't pin down the problem with my pc

Jul 2, 2018
Hello everybody,

So I had the idea of building my own gamer computer, I bought all the parts which are in details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 6x 3.60GHz So.AM4
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming AMD B350 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
RAM: 16GB (2x 8192MB) HyperX FURY schwarz Single Rank DDR4-2133 DIMM CL14-14-14-33 Dual Kit.
Graphic Card: 8GB MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti ARMOR 8G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
Power Adapter: 650 Watt Corsair CX Series CX650 Non-Modular 80+ Bronze
SSD: 250GB Samsung 860 Evo 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s
HDD: 2000GB WD Blue WD20EZRZ 5.400U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s.

At first the motherboard's bios version was not compatible with the cpu I had, it didn't work so I sent it back to the dealer for a bios update. I got it back and put together all the parts and it worked, I installed Windows 10 Pro, and got it running. installed all the drivers (graphic cards etc..), I tried on a game (Fortnite), after I was playing for one hour, it crashed. and everytime I was playing it keeps crashing, arbitrary, sometimes after an hour, sometimes after two hours, I tried playing CS:GO, and it had the same behaviour, after a while of playing, it lags and get's suspended for a period. Since the parts are more than enough to run this game with no problems, I tried reinstalling the graphic driver and checking all other drivers, but the problem was still there.
I tried running the windows built in performance test (performance monitor), and I got warning messages in the report as you can see in this image:
https://imgur.com/a/EQMzeOr

I tried reinstalling windows, running benchmarks and I got very good results, I checked that all the parts are there, all the cables are properly plugged in , ran the windows disk check and the windows memory diagnostic, so it's not the rams nor my hard drive in my opinion, I checked the fans are working, the graphic card fans are working. I am really out of ideas on what the problem can be, it is very weird that all the pc's parts have poor rating since it's a new pc, new parts, and should be very performant.

Can it be a problem with the motherboard that I'm missing ? And how can I really pin down if it's a problem with one of the hardware parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am out of any ideas..

Solution

If it was the RAM it will behave the same no matter where you place them.
It might be a damaged RAM slot on the motherboard like a bent pin inside the slot or even dust particles.

Jul 2, 2018

I did a stress test on the cpu: max temp was 62degrees
GPU:62degrees maximum
Mobo: 58degrees maximum

seems like nothing is overheating..

Jul 2, 2018

Thank you for the hint! It has now 7 successful passes with no errors, should I leave it test more, or go to changing the motherboard ?

Jul 2, 2018
What I finally did is, I removed one ram, and the windows warnings were gone, put that same ram into another slot, and the warning was still gone, so now I just test out the previous behaviors and crashes, if they're also gone, that means the problem is def coming from RAM.
Thank you for your answers.

If it was the RAM it will behave the same no matter where you place them.
It might be a damaged RAM slot on the motherboard like a bent pin inside the slot or even dust particles.

Solution