Can't play 4k when I believe I should...

eickers

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello all! So, I recently built a new computer that I plan to use almost exclusively as a multimedia center for playing 4k/UHD movies and streaming. However, now that I have my system built and up and running, I can't do the one thing I wanted... Play 4k movies. Not ones that I have downloaded or bought and tried to play in no my UHD disk drive. Although these are two separate problems, they are very large problems for me.

Whenever I try to play a 4k/UHD video file, the image comes back very distorted / lagging / choppy. It happens regardless of whether I use VLC or 5k player. The video is the same. I'm not incredibly tech savvy but I'm inclined to believe that it is a hardware issue. Maybe GPU/CPU/Motherboard?

Now when I tried to install the driver software for the UHD drive, it prompted me to run a system check to ensure that the drive would work. The test failed telling me that I was lacking Intel sgx something or other? (sorry I don't have the message in front of me) As far as I can tell, and please enlighten me if you know more, but shouldn't there be some equivalent of intels sgx software in the AMD line that is supported and already on my computer to make this drive work?

Any suggestions / solutions are greatly appreciated and much thanks to anyone helping! The specs for this specific build are as follows:

Motherboard :
ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD4 AMD Promontory B350

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six core

GPU:
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GDDR5

Ram:
Crucial Ballistics DDR 4 2400 2x8

PSU:
Thermaltake 750 watt

SSDs:
Scandisk 480Gb
Scandisk 240Gb

The problematic UHD drive :
LG UHD Blu-ray disk rewriter
(model: WH16NS60)

Are you using a 4K PC monitor or a 4K TV? And what cable type are you using from your PC to the 4K display? And like Greg above said, I'm assuming you are using video out from your video card, not the motherboard. Your specs are more than enough on paper to run 4K without question. This leads me to believe it's either a hardware connection issue or a software driver issue.

eickers

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Indeed it is connected directly from my GPU to my monitor through the GPUs HDMI 2.0 port.

Any idea why it would be prompting me anything about intels sgx software or whatever? Again, sorry for not having the prompt right in front of me, I'm currently on a drive to Chicago. I will replicate it as soon as I get home again. And let everyone know.

If your monitor or TV, whichever it is, has a display port, I'd first try buying a display port cable and see if you get the same problem. That way you could rule it out being an HDMI handshake problem, which is not uncommon between GPUs and monitors and HDTVs.

trollzhxtroll

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

1060 3GB can't run 4K well.,..

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
If you are saying that the "The problematic UHD drive : LG UHD Blu-ray disk rewriter (model: WH16NS60)" is where you suspect the problem to lie then that might be the case. I've been researching 5.25" optical drives capable of 4K UHD and have not seen anywhere in the LG specs that indicate that it can output 4K. I may be missing that but you should double check for that.

There is one Pioneer optical drive, BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer, that says it can play 4K UHD.

The other issue I have seen is that most motherboards don't do 4K UHD via an HDMI port very well. Using a Display Port to HDMI adapter is the usual solution. That may hold true for graphics cards as well. I can't imagine the 160 not running 4K well.

I'm early on in my research but my general impression is that 4K UHD via an HTPC is still not quite ready for prime time without some serious tweaking.

I've seen some comments regarding media player software not being able to play 4K UHD but since I'm several months away from building a new HTPC I haven't read the articles just the headlines.

Which operating system are you running? If it is Windows 10 and you are eligible for the "Creators Update" then that might fix the issue. I think that playing 4K video was one of the new or upgraded features. I'm still on Windows 7 so I just scanned the article but my impression was that the update was supposed to improve 4K and UHD performance.

My gut says check out that LG drive thoroughly if you think that's where the issue lies.

An hdmi cable is an hdmi cable , there's varyimg quality of cables but internally there is the same number of wires & the same number of pins.

Hdmi 2 spec is based solely on the imput/output sockets on connected devices not the cable itself.

The 1060 has hdmi 2 , youd expect a decent 4k screen (be it monitor or tv) to have hdmi 2 spec imputs.

HDMI versions apply to HDMI devices, not cables. The version doesn't come from the cable. If you want to make sure you have a device that supports 4K 60 Hz you need to check that your HDMI source and display support HDMI 2.0, not that your cable supports HDMI 2.0.

There are several tiers of HDMI cable, but they are not classified by version. The two main types are High Speed HDMI cable and Premium High Speed HDMI cable. High Speed HDMI cables are certified to handle at least 10.2 Gbit/s bandwidth, which is the maximum bandwidth that can be required by HDMI versions 1.3 to 1.4b. What people call "HDMI 1.3 cables" and "HDMI 1.4 cables" are both names for the same thing, a High Speed HDMI cable. Saying that an "HDMI 1.4 cable" will work but an "HDMI 1.3 cable" won't work is essentially nonsense.

Support for 4K 30 Hz was added in HDMI 1.4, support for 4K 60 Hz wasn't added until HDMI 2.0.

For people commenting about motherboard vs graphics card ports, I would point out this is an entirely useless line of questioning. He is using a Ryzen CPU, which has no integrated graphics and is therefore incapable of producing video output through the motherboard at all. Since he is getting video output, he is obviously already connected to the graphics card, and the problem lies elsewhere.

If the problem only occurs when attempting to play back a file, then this has nothing to do with the cabling system, since any problems with the actual connection would be present no matter what software was operating on the screen. The problem is almost certainly a 4K video decoding issue. That could be a driver level issue (the software is not assigning the task of playing the video to a properly equipped piece of hardware) or a hardware issue (no such properly equipped piece of hardware exists in the system, but that's not the case since he has a GTX 1060). However this most likely just a software configuration problem. I would recommend checking to make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled in your video playback software. (do a google search for "[video playback software name] hardware acceleration", or sometimes called "GPU acceleration".)

Lkaos

Honorable
Dec 13, 2014

Yes, perhaps i didnt express myself correctly...

1.0 -1.3 capable -> Standard HDMI cable
1.4 - 2.x capable -> High Speed HDMI cable

Better?

HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.4 have the same bandwidth, there's no dividing line between them. Standard Speed HDMI cables are only certified for up to 2.25 Gbit/s bandwidth (720p 60 Hz), whereas HDMI 1.0–1.2 allow up to 4.95 Gbit/s, hence a Standard Speed HDMI cable does not guarantee full performance from any HDMI version even down to 1.0, so High Speed cables are not just for "1.4 and above". The cable certification tiers aren't all "matched" to particular HDMI versions, which is why they aren't classified by version number.

High Speed cables are not guaranteed to reach full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth; while I'm aware the HDMI website still states that any High Speed certified cable will work for full HDMI 2.0 speeds and that no new cables are required, this is outdated and partially incorrect information. Many High Speed cables do work at full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth but this is only sometimes true, mostly with shorter cables (there are technical reasons for this). It was proven that, especially with longer cables, not all High Speed HDMI cables would work properly at full HDMI 2.0 speeds which is why the Premium High Speed certification was created.

Just generally speaking, cables shouldn't be associated with version numbers, it only adds confusion which is why labeling and selling cables by "version number" has been banned by the HDMI creators in the first place.

1080p 30 Hz -> Standard Speed HDMI
1080p 144 Hz / 4K 30 Hz -> High Speed HDMI
4K 60 Hz -> Premium High Speed HDMI for guarantee, though shorter High Speed cables usually work too.

Unfortunately it's not as clean as people would like, but that's how it is.

HDMI versions don't come from the cables, they come from the devices on each end of the connection.

To everyone talking about motherboard vs graphics card, he is using a Ryzen processor, which doesn't have integrated graphics, so it would be impossible for him to get any video output from the motherboard at all. Since he is getting video output, obviously he is already connecting to the graphics card.

I would check to make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled in your video playback software. (Google search for "<name of video software> hardware acceleration". Sometimes called "GPU acceleration".)