Can't play a single game without my PC crashing and rebooting with r9 280 (No overheating)

MintFuzionz

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
I have had my custom built PC for about 6 months now and suddenly I have been having problems with my PC constantly rebooting whether I am in-game, benchmarking (mainly with furmark), or simply leaving it idle. What happens is that it first starts glitching out into multi colored lines and then replays the same sound effect over and over again. Only once have I gotten a blue screen (which said it was a video tdr failure, which gives me the idea that it may be the GPU, but I want to be sure as I have also heard it may be the psu), every other time has always been an instant reboot. I would greatly appreciate it if someone out there can lend me a hand and help me find out what is going on
PC Specs
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500w
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Mobo:MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard
RAM: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Solution
Your psu is not very good and is almost certainly your problem.

Try removing your R9 280 and see if it will boot into windows stably.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
It's most likely the PSU. I'd suggest you try with another one first. I doubt it's the GPU as it would crash the OS with some error or behave a little bit different. When having sudden shutdowns and irregular behavior that doesn't show a BSOD or similar, it's usually a power related issue.

MintFuzionz

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Alright well it is gonna be about an hour before can borrow a VGA cord to test it so in the meantime I just wanted to bring up that though when I bought the GPU it recommended a 600w psu, I was still able to use a 500w psu for 6 months. Does anyone know why?

MintFuzionz

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Ok thank you very much, I'll probably go with the seasonic but it is about 20 dollars out of my price range. I might just go with the one I gave first because I am fine with mediocre because it costs less. Thank you for all of your help! :)

urbanj

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Ya, don't cheap out on a PSU. It's the heart of your PC. If it sucks, you end up providing ALL of your components with unstable, dirty power. This will lead to all kinds of problems and shorter lifespans of your component's.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
also depends how long you had the power supply man capacitos age over time and lose max wattage capacity . example some psu usint can last 8 to 10 years based on amount of use whether it was on 24/7 ect .. if it had good enough cooling to keep the capacitors cool can make it last longer but capacitors age over time.

in a case lets just say ya got a really decent to excellent 1000 wat that lasted that long but ya ran it 24/7.

well in realtity if ya had it that long would lose over 25 percent of it max stated wattage youed only get 7 too 800 wats top out of it .

MintFuzionz

Commendable
Aug 1, 2016
Alright, also just to let u know I have had this PC in working condition for 6 months and it may have been because the intake for the psu is taking all the heat from inside the case.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

it take a whole hell of a lot of heat to do that man .
if it is your psu more likely hada defect didn't pop up till now . one bad capacitor and rest being good.

TRENDING THREADS