Can't play games without drops R9 280

Haris Sinclair

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I have a problem that I can't play games like Battlefield 4/3 on even low without me dropping from 60-70 down to 20-10. I have a Sapphire R9 280 OC, FX-4100, 4GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance and 500GB WD Caviar Green. My uncle has practically the same system except he has r9 270x and 8gb 1600mhz ram. He can play Far cry 4 on maximum at 60fps were I can't even play it on low at 60! Help will be appreciated!

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I'm not an expert... but have you checked to see what background programs are running while you play? Also, before starting up the game... check to see what your CPU usage is? If you have a corrupt driver or a process that's hanging up your system... that can cause serious lag on your system.

mdocod

Distinguished
We see similar thread almost every day, it's almost always the same things on AM3+, over-heating VRMs throttling the CPU.

So... lets find out if we have another winner...

Haris, Please list your specific Motherboard model, and if you're using any aftermarket cooling on the CPU, please list that as well. It's also worth considering your case and PSU just to cover all the bases.