can't play ghost recon wildlands with my gtx 960 2gb!

brb192

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
Im so frustrated, just got ghost recon wildlands and i was so excited to play it, but i can't play with a consistent fps with my gtx 960 2gb. a lot of sudden fps drops going on and some stuttering even on low-medium. i can play with 70fps when everything is set to low.
i get 15fps on high settings, my res is 1280x1024.
I'm wondering if i should oc my gpu.

My specs :
intel i5-4460
asus gtx 960 2gb
8gb ram

Regards.

Solution
Yes I would say a GTX 960 is more of a minimum requirement, just above it. So low-medium settings is all you can expect especially with the 2GB model. As stated above you should be able to find the right mix of settings. Shadows and AA should be turned off to get the best performance.
That's a new AAA game. Your videocard is a bit higher than entry level gaming when new, now it is basically entry level. Overclocking may a help a bit, but it won't change the performance level enough to fix the underlying problem.

Maybe you could experiment with the settings and find the one or two(or three or four) settings that really hurt your framerate. Keep those low and trying raise the other ones. DO NOT use any form of AA, you don't have enough vram for that.

brb192

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015

yeah i know but when watching youtube videos bench marking the same games and other games and with the same specs, the fps is way higher and very playable. i tried playing around with the settings but i can't really find the sweet spot.
and i can see that the vran usage is 1.6gb which is not over my gpu's vram.
i was experiencing the same issue with gta v, could it be the HHD problem ? should i pick up a SSD or free some space on my hdd ?

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I believe it's because your GTX 960 has only 2gb's of VRAM. The recommended amount is mainly 4gb's but if you run the game with your card at a resolution of 1280x720, it should get you close to 60fps.

brb192

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015

thats the main problem, im not even playing on 1080p.But like i said the vram usage is 1.6-1.7gb, so it's not reaching the limit.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

if you lower the settings and get better fps then the gpu is the bottleneck

get a better gpu

Yes I would say a GTX 960 is more of a minimum requirement, just above it. So low-medium settings is all you can expect especially with the 2GB model. As stated above you should be able to find the right mix of settings. Shadows and AA should be turned off to get the best performance.

Solution