[SOLVED] Can't play online multiplayer games on new phone's mobile hotspot.

Jun 13, 2021
TL;DR online multiplayer games can't be played if I share internet from my new phone but everything else works, If i use another device for sharing I can play.

Hey, so yesterday I got myself a new phone, a Xiaomi 11T and thats where the problems started.
I used to have a K20 Pro which is the chinese version of another phone so it wasn't even able to pick up the wide spread 4G signal where I live, yet everything worked fine and I was able to play any online game (apex, league etc).
But now if I use the hotspot on the new phone games simply don't work.
I can load into the lobby in both apex and fortnite, the shop and everything loads but as soon as I press find match and the game tries to load me in nothing happens and I get kicked back into the lobby every single time.
League kinda works, I have around 50 ping all time but it's a slideshow. Everyone stops randomly then boom I'm dead, it's unplayable.

Beside these game problems everything works 100% fine. Low ping, better download speeds than my old phone, everything loads, heck I'm on a discord call with frineds 100% of time and it's stable, everyone can hear me no problems there (yes, I was speaking with them during every problem I described so far).

I tried every setting on the mobile hotspot, turned off 5G, nothing helped.
Is my phone broken? I tried using another phone as hotspot and suddenly everything is working again.

Solution
Almost seems like the phone is restricting traffic that uses ports other than the ones used by web browsers. Games use other ports and protocols sometimes to improve the performance. I don't think those games need stuff like UPnP which hotspot have trouble with but those games do use other ports.

Is this the same ISP as you had before. Do they have any rules on when you run tethered or hotspot mode. I know a lot have strange restrictions on streaming HD video. Does the plan you have actually allow you to do this. Many times they have very different data limits for things you run directly on the phone and stuff you run in tethered mode. Some phone are better at enforcing the restrictions.
Thanks for the reply...
Almost seems like the phone is restricting traffic that uses ports other than the ones used by web browsers. Games use other ports and protocols sometimes to improve the performance. I don't think those games need stuff like UPnP which hotspot have trouble with but those games do use other ports.

Is this the same ISP as you had before. Do they have any rules on when you run tethered or hotspot mode. I know a lot have strange restrictions on streaming HD video. Does the plan you have actually allow you to do this. Many times they have very different data limits for things you run directly on the phone and stuff you run in tethered mode. Some phone are better at enforcing the restrictions.

Jun 13, 2021

Thanks for the reply, meanwhile I did some more digging and found it's a known issue and I actually found a fix for it by a tmobile forum member:
"Fix
Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names... Tap the existing entry to open it and screenshot or make a note of the settings.
Go back to the precious screen, Access Point Names... click ...Add and give it whatever name you want. Mimic the settings you took note of but change APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4 Tap the 3 vertical dots at the top and hit save. Now select your newly created Access Point, your service should disconnect then reconnect.

hope this helps other, worked for me for league of legends
if this don’t work try setting APN Protocol & APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4/IPv6
If this helps any one post your outcome with the name of game your playing
maybe some one can buy this old wounded warrior a meal (will Code For Food) :p"

Link to where I found it

Solution
Never think to check that on cell phones. In some ways it would be nice if they just turned off IPv6 until they get it 100% reliable. They have been talking about it for almost 20yrs and it still has all kinds of strange issues. Game many times run better on IPv4