[SOLVED] Can't port forward ?

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
i want to port forward a minecraft server but everytime i port forward ,and i check that its working or not and its not working .
then i found out that your computer should be connected to the router and router to the internet .
But in my case , my mobile phone is connected to the router and I'm sharing my mobile phone's wifi connected to PC with usb cable.
So now please tell me how can i port forward ?

little_me

Distinguished
okay... now that I know the setup, I managed to replicate it on my end to test.
(these are my IP's)
Router:
Public IP (as seen from websites like google) 86.xx.xx.xx
External IP (as reported by router) 86.xx.xx.xx
Note that these two MUST be same for port forwarding to work.

internal IP

Port forwarding on router done to said 192.168.1.5 (to phone)

Connected through wifi to my phone (android)
IP on router side:
connected to desktop through USB (usb tethering)

PHONE DOES NOT DO PORT FORWARDING, data stops there.
surfing net usage and all that works fine though due to how NAT handles traffic.

So... sorry to say but answer is, no, it will not work unless you get working lan or wifi for your computer, phone will not cut it.

you can buy USB wifi adapters for relatively cheap though and I see no reason why that wouldn't work then.

Edit:
wifi card would work, provided that the external IP router reports (earlier post it was 172.173.4.149 ) and IP websites see (now 103.77.20.242 ) are same.
difference between then and now can happen, public IP's are dynamic and can change on router reboot and/or when ISP chooses to change them. so IP being different from yesterday's doesn't mean much, it just.. raises alarms that it might not be simple.
(I have had same public dynamic IP for... 5? 6? years, no change, ever)

that difference in external/public IP's makes me suspect that ISP is doing another layer of NAT which would again, break port forwarding, so before buying wifi cards to get it to work, make sure they are same.

Last edited:

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
Open up the port on your router and it should open it for any device connected even if you are going through a phone .
i tried but not working first i create static ip for that i went to cmd and note down details and then went to network and change the properties of ipv4 of the connected device then went to my router website 192.168.0.1 and then i port forword 25565 i also allow 22565 port in windows firewall , but my port is not forwarding .

computer cmd
ipv4= 192.168.48.71
submask= 255.255.255.0
DNS server= 192.168.48.23
gateway= 192.168.48.23

router
ip=172.173.4.149
gateway= 103.77.23.194
dns=103.77.23.194 8.8.8.8
in router Lan
ip=192.168.0.1
subnet mask= 255.255.255.0
Dhcp server = enable

my connection type = pppoE

Last edited:

little_me

Distinguished
since this is mobile network and ISP's do all kinds of tricks, you should first verify that the IP your router has 172.173.4.149 is the same as what websites see.
you can do google search for "what is my ip" or use https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check, it's port checking works for all games that I know of too. (provided server/game is running at time of check, if not, no one is listening on that port)

If router IP and external website IP's are different, you cannot port forward, your ISP is blocking that feature on mobile (not at all uncommon)

Past that, whole setup seems like a mess, I mean, your routers LAN IP is 0.1 and mask allows only last number to change.
your computer has 48.71 and subnet mask allows only last number to change.

based on that, unless something is really weird, your router and computer should not even be talking to each other. (like unless you are connecting to router with wifi and did not mention it)

so.. while I'm 99% sure your connection/forwarding will never work due to ISP's not liking port forwarding on mobile, it is also likely that even if that part would work, your router/computer is most likely set up so that it wont work anyway.

the computer/router/lan setup you can change to work but ISP side you cannot, so you should first verify that routers IP matches what webservices see, if it does, you should be able to get it to work.

Reactions: agangurde1000

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
since this is mobile network and ISP's do all kinds of tricks, you should first verify that the IP your router has 172.173.4.149 is the same as what websites see.
you can do google search for "what is my ip" or use https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check, it's port checking works for all games that I know of too. (provided server/game is running at time of check, if not, no one is listening on that port)

If router IP and external website IP's are different, you cannot port forward, your ISP is blocking that feature on mobile (not at all uncommon)

Past that, whole setup seems like a mess, I mean, your routers LAN IP is 0.1 and mask allows only last number to change.
your computer has 48.71 and subnet mask allows only last number to change.

based on that, unless something is really weird, your router and computer should not even be talking to each other. (like unless you are connecting to router with wifi and did not mention it)

so.. while I'm 99% sure your connection/forwarding will never work due to ISP's not liking port forwarding on mobile, it is also likely that even if that part would work, your router/computer is most likely set up so that it wont work anyway.

the computer/router/lan setup you can change to work but ISP side you cannot, so you should first verify that routers IP matches what webservices see, if it does, you should be able to get it to work
my mobile is connected to my router through wifi and my phone is connected to pc through usb cable ,so i am providing wifi to my pc through usb ( my pc lan port is broken and no wifi card )
my public ip is = 103.77.20.242
i am not providing my mobile data i am providing wifi to pc through usb .

Last edited:

little_me

Distinguished
(these are my IP's)
Router:

internal IP

IP on router side:

surfing net usage and all that works fine though due to how NAT handles traffic.

So... sorry to say but answer is, no, it will not work unless you get working lan or wifi for your computer, phone will not cut it.

you can buy USB wifi adapters for relatively cheap though and I see no reason why that wouldn't work then.

Edit:
wifi card would work, provided that the external IP router reports (earlier post it was 172.173.4.149 ) and IP websites see (now 103.77.20.242 ) are same.
difference between then and now can happen, public IP's are dynamic and can change on router reboot and/or when ISP chooses to change them. so IP being different from yesterday's doesn't mean much, it just.. raises alarms that it might not be simple.

that difference in external/public IP's makes me suspect that ISP is doing another layer of NAT which would again, break port forwarding, so before buying wifi cards to get it to work, make sure they are same.

Last edited:

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
(these are my IP's)
Router:

internal IP

IP on router side:

Edit:

yes i dig up some information and found that isp in india are providing same ip for 2 or more that 2 people so port forwading is impossible . thank u for your ans . isp is mail problem so buying adpter wont cut it .
can used aws and make a private computer and install a open source vpn into it and host minecraft server from thaat ? trying so will also improve my knowledge ;[]

why some people are saaying thaat used vpn how ut will affect port forwarding

Last edited:

little_me

Distinguished
well, in theory using amazon web services to get public IP to use and then VPN to that could work.
I have no experience in those matters though since I'm pretty sure Amazon has all kinds of blocks for lower cost/free/trial setups.

additionally, there are outside hosts that can host minecraft server for you, from free. (supposedly, text/link based ads ingame) to low monthly cost.
https://aternos.org/:en/#about
just google for minecraft server hosting and read about options.

Reactions: agangurde1000

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017
well, in theory using amazon web services to get public IP to use and then VPN to that could work.
I have no experience in those matters though since I'm pretty sure Amazon has all kinds of blocks for lower cost/free/trial setups.

additionally, there are outside hosts that can host minecraft server for you, from free. (supposedly, text/link based ads ingame) to low monthly cost.
thank u so much ;[]

agangurde1000

Reputable
Nov 6, 2017

dammmm i have just done the impossible .
i first create aws cloude pc and run minecrafat in it but it run horibble bocz of 1cpu and 1 gb ram so
i delete that pc and create a new one port port forwading and i run minecraft server in my pc and the traffic come to my pc through aws cloude pc and it <Mod Edit> wokkkkkk but i work on it like whole day but i got my fruit and learn so many thing ;[]

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS