[SOLVED] Can't post on a B550 Aorus Master

Jan 9, 2021
I had another mobo (Asus B550M TUF Gaming PLUS Wifi) and I accidentally busted the first PCI E slot, so I got another mobo, a B550 Aorus Master.

To my surprise, the first slot on this new mobo doesnt seem to work. Switching to the second does the trick.

At first I thought it needed the bios update. But when I switched to the second slot, it worked and the bios ver. was the one I had intended to update to.

Ive tried everything, different ram combinations, different psu cables combinations, and so on.

The specs are as follow:
  • B550 AORUS Master
  • Ryzen 5 5600x
  • be quiet! Straight Power 11, 750w
  • RTX 3080 Zotac TRINITY OC
  • NZXT Kraken Z63
  • NZXT H510 Elite with 2 additional fans and 2 led strips.
  • XPG Spectrix D60G x4 8gb 3000 mhz
  • XPG Spectrix S40G 1tb nvme
  • Seagate Firecuda 1tb sshd
Any problems I could have for buying the mobo overseas? Im from Chile and bought it via Amazon and a re-shipper.

I dont have many methods to troubleshoot but Im very certain I need more PSU W.

EDIT: I could exchange the first mobo via warranty with the store, and it has the same exact problem. First slot doesnt work and its brand new.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, so you need to do this, step by step:

I'm still of the opinion that either the CPU has bent pins, the CPU has damage to it's PCIe circuit or the graphics card has been damaged, but with everything that has happened ESPECIALLY the fact that a motherboard was installed with standoffs installed where they didn't belong, anything is 100% possible.

This is a nightmare, and this is EXACTLY why you don't use any "technician" that doesn't have EXEMPLARY references and reputation. Otherwise, and sometimes even IF they do, you are better off doing it yourself because at least you can usually take the time to educated yourself by watching educational tutorials...
It probably doesn't matter, but just so that we are clear, is this the Gold or Platinum version of the Straight power 11 750w series?

A 750w unit should be fine, and that is definitely not the worst power supply out there. How long have you had it OR more importantly, as I first asked, how long has it been in service?

Jan 9, 2021
It probably doesn't matter, but just so that we are clear, is this the Gold or Platinum version of the Straight power 11 750w series?

A 750w unit should be fine, and that is definitely not the worst power supply out there. How long have you had it OR more importantly, as I first asked, how long has it been in service?

The gold version. It has been in service for approx. two months or a little more than that.

Edit: added more context in OP

different psu cables combinations
Explain this please, in detail, because I hope to heaven you didn't use PSU cables that did not come WITH your power supply. If you did, it's highly likely that all bets are off.

The obvious and probable answer here is that (However it happened) when you "busted" the PCIe slot on the original board, if it was powered up or even had power TO the board at the time, meaning that the PSU itself was not switched off on the back of the PSU or unplugged from the wall, then there's always a chance that you either damaged something on part of the card (Could be any part of the card circuit beyond the likely only x8 PCI used by the lower slot) or more probably in the CPU itself since it has a direct relationship with the entire PCIe circuit.

It's also possible that the CPU has bent pins and that that has been your entire problem all along. I'd pull the CPU and inspect it for damaged pins of any kind.

By the way, because this could be important, a little backstory as to HOW the original PCIe slot got damaged would probably be helpful too, regardless that it might make you feel foolish, or whatever. Sometimes it's what we hide that is the hindrance to solving the problem.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2021
Explain this please, in detail, because I hope to heaven you didn't use PSU cables that did not come WITH your power supply. If you did, it's highly likely that all bets are off.

The obvious and probable answer here is that (However it happened) when you "busted" the PCIe slot on the original board, if it was powered up or even had power TO the board at the time, meaning that the PSU itself was not switched off on the back of the PSU or unplugged from the wall, then there's always a chance that you either damaged something on part of the card (Could be any part of the card circuit beyond the likely only x8 PCI used by the lower slot) or more probably in the CPU itself since it has a direct relationship with the entire PCIe circuit.

It's also possible that the CPU has bent pins and that that has been your entire problem all along. I'd pull the CPU and inspect it for damaged pins of any kind.

By the way, because this could be important, a little backstory as to HOW the original PCIe slot got damaged would probably be helpful too, regardless that it might make you feel foolish, or whatever. Sometimes it's what we hide that is the hindrance to solving the problem.
By different psu cable combinations, I mean that the straight Power is multi rail. So I tried a PCI Y cable in the PCI 2 port, then separate cables in PCI 1 and 3. All of this using cables that came with the PSU.

No worries, Ill explain everything.

I had everything fit inside a h400, vertical gpu with a riser cable, and I got a pretty amazing deal on a h510 elite, so I bought it.

When I switched everything, one argb fan was not working, so I took every fan and daisy chained them all together (thats how nzxt's aer fans argb work). When I completed the build, It stopped working and thats when I busted the pci slot on the first mb. I assume I didnt pull off correctly the riser cable. The pci slot got busted but with no visual apparent damage.

I bought another mb, and had a technician do the mb switch, and he did not know much (It had been recommended to me) and I got my pc back. He didnt switch the stand offs in the case (considering he was switching from mATX to ATX mb), he didnt know how to do QFlash, he used a ton of thermal paste which led to leaking inside the socket and cpu pins (ive tried to clean it). The CPU so far has no bent pins.

Ok, so you need to do this, step by step:

I'm still of the opinion that either the CPU has bent pins, the CPU has damage to it's PCIe circuit or the graphics card has been damaged, but with everything that has happened ESPECIALLY the fact that a motherboard was installed with standoffs installed where they didn't belong, anything is 100% possible.

This is a nightmare, and this is EXACTLY why you don't use any "technician" that doesn't have EXEMPLARY references and reputation. Otherwise, and sometimes even IF they do, you are better off doing it yourself because at least you can usually take the time to educated yourself by watching educational tutorials and videos, or reading professional guides, and not make guesses or blunders like apparently has been done multiple times throughout this process. I wouldn't be entirely surprised at all if you have multiple hardware failures to be honest. If you are still trying to use the motherboard that was installed with standoffs in the wrong locations, it might be a losing battle. That is THE quickest way short of using a very cheap PSU or the wrong PSU cables, to short things out.

Reactions: El.James
Solution