[SOLVED] Can't project desktop monitor onto laptop as a second screen even though my bluetooth is correct

thinksachi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
Trying to get my MSI laptop to act a 2nd monitor for my desktop, but it wont' work. I've checked the following;

I have a 5.0 bluetooth adapter installed on my desktop.
The bluetooth device driver is also installed on my PC
My PC can detect my laptop
My laptop can detect the desktop when I tried to project it.

But when I try to extend the desktop monitor, nothing happens. Thoughts?

Solution
It is also worth noting that most laptops dont support using their screen as a monitor for an external PC.
Their ports are almost always display out only.
There are a couple ways to extend a monitor over wifi. I know one is called miracast but there are a couple competing methods. This is mostly done to smart tv that have support for miracast but some computer monitors support it to.
There are dongles that support miracast also. It is very common for a business laptop to transmit/mirror its screen to a large tv/monitor in a conference room via wifi.

Not sure how you would make the laptop act as a just a monitor. I suspect you would need to run some software to do this.

But as mentioned above you get some lag on some applications. Wifi bandwidth just does not compare to video refresh rates.

thinksachi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
You can only extend the desktop space to a monitor if it's connected with an actual monitor cable.

There are multiple tutorials on how to use bluetooth setup.

But how do you extend wifi via a cable? Because I tried doing so and it doesn't work. I would connect the hdmi cable from the desktop monitor to the laptop. But the laptop would just extend itself onto the desktop monitor. Instead, I need it the other way around. It's just weird.

There are multiple tutorials on how to use bluetooth setup.

But how do you extend wifi via a cable? Because I tried doing so and it doesn't work. I would connect the hdmi cable from the desktop monitor to the laptop. But the laptop would just extend itself onto the desktop monitor. Instead, I need it the other way around. It's just weird.
first few videos shows miracast is being used to project laptop as a monitor, i see no bluetooth tutorial

soo, which part of tutorial does not work for you?

thinksachi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2014
first few videos shows miracast is being used to project laptop as a monitor, i see no bluetooth tutorial

soo, which part of tutorial does not work for you?

Actually you're right. I've been calling it bluetooth but I guess you guys called it Miracast.

I can't get the PC to connect to the laptop when I hit Windows sign + P and select an option. This is my desktop settings. And this is my laptop.

My MSI laptop is only a couple years old so I imagine it should be able to support this?

Actually you're right. I've been calling it bluetooth but I guess you guys called it Miracast.

I can't get the PC to connect to the laptop when I hit Windows sign + P and select an option. This is my desktop settings. And this is my laptop.

My MSI laptop is only a couple years old so I imagine it should be able to support this?
okay, on your second picture you see those project and connect buttons?
on laptop use project
on pc use connect

Bluetooth was never designed for this. In Bluetooth 5.0 they increased bandwiddth to 5mbps mainly for higher quality headphones and HD sound tracks without having to heavily compress everything as much, which leads to loss of fidelity and crushing your bass and highs.

5mbps is "possible" to share a screen with that much bandwidth, we do it with Microsoft Teams all the time, but it's not enough for a proper secondary monitor. It would require your computer to compress it into a video feed to the monitor and would be heavily compressed video. It might look fuzzy with compression artifacts.

Still doesn't work. It can't detect the desktop monitor. I tried it the other way around as well and the desktop can't detect the laptop.
in settings is it configured properly?
projecting-to-this-pc.png