Question Cant pull DNS on a Netgear Router from a specific pc. The router is DHCP. What am I missing

Jul 18, 2019
So I have a new client that is running a Juniper Router. There is a secondary router that is running the front desk (Netgear). Simple setup with 3 desktops, 1 printer and 2 credit card machines connected to 1 switch all off the Net gear router. Everything is on DHCP. No static.

1 pc will not pull DNS but will pull a ip address. I can see the PC in question as a connected devices under www.routerlogin.net. Ipconfig looks correct. Checked cable and ports the switch no issue. Reloaded Windows 10 no fix. Took a separate laptop connected to same Ethernet cable, pulled DNS no issue. Pc in question WILL pull DNS at my shop no problem. I managed to connect the PC to the internet buy manually putting the static DNS of the Juniper Router. What am i missing.

Is it possible that Windows has updated a driver for the NIC card that is not compatible with the juniper router...maybe blocks outside access with a rule? Maybe the juniper router thinks the NIC is not apart of the network?

I am not familiar with Juniper switches / routers. Any ideas?

Im changing the NIC card tomorrow as a last resort.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is only 1 message you get from a dhcp server and it contains all the information. If it gets the ip address it has to get the dns, there are actually many other fields in a dhcp message.

Now in theory a dhcp server can be configured to give different client different information. You for example could give them different gateways or subnets etc based on mac address. I am not sure if a juniper router has that ability, I know a actual server can.

Still someone would have to configure that.

I would first check the pc to be very sure the box is check to obtain a dns via dhcp. Normally you do that to assign a static dns but you can leave the field blank.

As a last resort load wireshark. Release the ip and then renew it and see what you get back. Wireshark will format the dhcp packet for you so it is easy to read.

Jul 18, 2019
Everything is set to pull a dynamic ip and dns automatically. Every other pc connects no issue. This Pc will not connect to the internet without manually entering the dns into the TCP/IPv4. Just to be clear.

Jul 18, 2019
that my thoughts exactly. Already bout 2 NICS from 2 different manufactures. Lets say it does work. Would you guess windows updated a bad driver or would it be a firmware related issue/ router maybe dying. Regardless I wouldn't pursue any further but just curious.

that my thoughts exactly. Already bout 2 NICS from 2 different manufactures. Lets say it does work. Would you guess windows updated a bad driver or would it be a firmware related issue/ router maybe dying. Regardless I wouldn't pursue any further but just curious.
I'd factor in if troubleshooting further is worth the administrative effort. However I'd be more inclined to suspect the issue is with bios/firmware/drivers or hardware. If there was an issue with the Router more endpoints would be affected. Did you check the host file on that machine?