Question Can't raise GPU power limit

EndeligGnist

Prominent
Sep 23, 2020
While trying to overclock my GPU with MSI Afterburner, I found out that I was actually losing performance, not gaining more. I later found the reason to be my power limit settings. Just to preface, I have an Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, which allows for power limit to be raised by up to an additional 25%, and no, I definitely wasn't thermal throttling nor do I have an insufficient power supply .

Problem is, when I raise the power limit in MSI Afterburner, the power draw is reflected in certain applications like MSI Kombust and Rise of the Tomb Raider, where I will get noticeably higher temperatures, and of course, higher FPS. In other applications like BOCW and FurMark stress test, however, the TDP limit stays the exact same at 250W, instead of around 320W with the power limits increased. In fact, in BOCW, raising the power limit (without touching the core clocks) will actually cause the game to run worse than with the power limit set to default.

Why does the power limit reflect on some applications but not on others? Is there a setting I forgot to enable?

Intel core i9-10900KF
Asus ROG STRIX Z590-A GAMING WIFI
Nzxt Kraken x63
Asus ROG STRIX RTX 2080 TI OC
2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200Mhz CL16
Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W Full modular PSU

Last edited: