cant reach 4.2ghz why?

immafrog1337

Honorable
Jun 1, 2013
for some reason when i overclock my cpu too 4.2 and i run prime 95 its crashes. all i do is change the multiplier and dont even mess with anything else. does anybody know why?

8 gigs of ram
i have a fx 8350
970 extreme 3 r2.0
cx600
h60

Solution
It fails in prime because you haven't changed the voltage.
In most cases, overclocking needs you to raise the voltage.

Having said that, I would not recommend overclocking on you board, as it is a lower quality board and may have issues when put under stress.

bradsctt

Distinguished
It fails in prime because you haven't changed the voltage.
In most cases, overclocking needs you to raise the voltage.

Having said that, I would not recommend overclocking on you board, as it is a lower quality board and may have issues when put under stress.

Solution
The motherboard has a 4+1 phase. It's already probably barely able to support turbo clock as is. I've tried on my extreme3 (non r2.0) and I'm able to get to 4.2ghz @1.35v, but my pc will crash after a certain point. You'll most likely need to raise the voltages to keep it stable, keep an eye on the temperatures to make sure they're not going too high.

mrmez

Splendid
OCing is trail and error.

You are getting an error, time to trial something.

As said, even CPUs of the same model/revision/stepping etc can OC with varying success.
My ancient Q6600 with a revision known to be not so good for OC manages to get from 2.4 stock to ~2.8 with LOWER voltage. Only if I want 3.2+ do I need a very minor bump.

TRENDING THREADS