Question Can't reactivate Windows 10 after changing mobo - Valid digital copy purchased directly from MS Store ?

Apr 22, 2023
Hi Folks,

I rebuilt my PC back in November, and ended up buying a new Windows 10 copy directly from the Microsoft Store. It shows up in my order history that I bought this less than 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I had a bad mobo and it died last week. I changed it out for the same model and got it running again.

Now, I can't reactivate Windows. When I go through the activation tool and hit "I had a recent hardware change," it still says it can't reactivate and to make sure I'm signed into the right Microsoft account. I am logged into the right Microsoft account. And when I log into my account on a browser, I can see both devices (with the exact same name and system details) as well as Windows 10 in my order history.

I already called Microsoft support once. They made me redo the same steps in the activator, then escalated me to Tier 2 in India. The Tier 2 support had me download a reinstall tool and told me that once the upgrade finished, I would have an activated version of Windows installed.

Surprise, that didn't work either. After sitting through the entire installation process, the error code has changed to "We can't activate Windows on this device as the previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to Windows 10 (0x803F7001).

There is literally no way I am paying another $200 for the exact same copy of windows on the exact same machine twice in six months. The last purchase is right there in my account history. Does anyone have experience with this or how to get it fixed?

Apr 22, 2023
Sounds like Microsoft need to ellevate it further as they are about only people who can fix it. They should be able to activate it from their end.
Thanks. They gave me a support number to call back but it's the U.S. number and won't be open until Monday. I'll try giving them another call - just super frustrated that I've already had to buy two copies of genuine windows for the same machine and it's telling me to buy a third.

Hi Folks,

I rebuilt my PC back in November, and ended up buying a new Windows 10 copy directly from the Microsoft Store. It shows up in my order history that I bought this less than 6 months ago. Unfortunately, I had a bad mobo and it died last week. I changed it out for the same model and got it running again.

Now, I can't reactivate Windows. When I go through the activation tool and hit "I had a recent hardware change," it still says it can't reactivate and to make sure I'm signed into the right Microsoft account. I am logged into the right Microsoft account. And when I log into my account on a browser, I can see both devices (with the exact same name and system details) as well as Windows 10 in my order history.

I already called Microsoft support once. They made me redo the same steps in the activator, then escalated me to Tier 2 in India. The Tier 2 support had me download a reinstall tool and told me that once the upgrade finished, I would have an activated version of Windows installed.

Surprise, that didn't work either. After sitting through the entire installation process, the error code has changed to "We can't activate Windows on this device as the previous version of Windows was not activated prior to upgrading to Windows 10 (0x803F7001).

There is literally no way I am paying another $200 for the exact same copy of windows on the exact same machine twice in six months. The last purchase is right there in my account history. Does anyone have experience with this or how to get it fixed?
When your old motherboard died did you remove that as a device from your microsoft account? Since your license can only be used for one device at a time you would probably need to do that first.

Now, I can't reactivate Windows. When I go through the activation tool and hit "I had a recent hardware change," it still says it can't reactivate and to make sure I'm signed into the right Microsoft account.
Reinstall windows - on another drive or partition.
Then do "I had a recent hardware change" procedure.

Sometimes after changing motherboard windows can not be reactivated, no matter, what you do.

Apr 22, 2023
When your old motherboard died did you remove that as a device from your microsoft account? Since your license can only be used for one device at a time you would probably need to do that first.
My concern with doing this is that Microsoft reactivates windows from the device list in your Microsoft account - so if I remove the old device, I'd worry that I'd be removing the evidence that this is the same machine with a valid copy. (As opposed to, say, selling the old CPU and trying to use the same license on a new machine.) But I'll see what Microsoft support says.

Reinstall windows - on another drive or partition.
Then do "I had a recent hardware change" procedure.

Sometimes after changing motherboard windows can not be reactivated, no matter, what you do.
Thank you, I will try that after my next round with Microsoft if they're unable to fix it. It will take some work to get things off the boot drive so I can reformat but I would give it a shot if MS can't fix it.

select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t resolve the issue, you’ll see a link to reactivate after a hardware change. Select it to follow this path. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.
My post notes that I already followed those steps twice, both 1) on my own and 2) on the phone with MS tech support, but thanks for trying to help.

My concern with doing this is that Microsoft reactivates windows from the device list in your Microsoft account - so if I remove the old device, I'd worry that I'd be removing the evidence that this is the same machine with a valid copy. (As opposed to, say, selling the old CPU and trying to use the same license on a new machine.) But I'll see what Microsoft support says.

Thank you, I will try that after my next round with Microsoft if they're unable to fix it. It will take some work to get things off the boot drive so I can reformat but I would give it a shot if MS can't fix it.

My post notes that I already followed those steps twice, both 1) on my own and 2) on the phone with MS tech support, but thanks for trying to help.
did you try entering your product key?

Your windows license it linked to the serial number built into your old motherboard. Microsoft reactivates windows from the motherboard serial number (the device list itself is somewhat irrelevant since its just giving a name to a motherboard serial number) so that you can reinstall windows as many times as you want on that old motherboard. Now that the old one has died and the new one has a new serial number if the license is not unlinked from the old serial number then it can't be linked to the new motherboard's serial number. That's what microsoft should be telling you; its not clear why they are not. This is the way its supposed to work which prevents 1 license being used on 2 motherboards. Maybe if you explain it to them that way they'll understand and fix your problem.

USAFRet

Titan
Your windows license it linked to the serial number built into your old motherboard. Microsoft reactivates windows from the motherboard serial number (the device list itself is somewhat irrelevant since its just giving a name to a motherboard serial number) so that you can reinstall windows as many times as you want on that old motherboard. Now that the old one has died and the new one has a new serial number if the license is not unlinked from the old serial number then it can't be linked to the new motherboard's serial number. That's what microsoft should be telling you; its not clear why they are not. This is the way its supposed to work which prevents 1 license being used on 2 motherboards. Maybe if you explain it to them that way they'll understand and fix your problem.
A Windows license purchased from MS is transferable to new hardware (motherboard).

Frequently, the frontline helpdesk people are totally clueless on this.

A few years ago, I helped a member here doing this.

He had called MS, and the Level 1 person said "No way, no how, it can never ever be transferred."
Not until he showed him the link from MS stating HOW (that I gave him), and it was elevated up a couple of levels of helpdesk supervisor did he get it resolved.

Reactivating Windows after a hardware change

Reactions: dwd999