Can't read CDROM's anymore (16 bit Subsystem pb)

Flapjack

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2004

As soon as I want to start some CD-ROM programs that I have already loaded
and used many times, a placard titled "16 bit Windows Subsystem" shows the
following message:

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.
[Close] [Ignore]".

Unable to go further.
Please Help.
Best regards,
Alex

Okay, what you've run up against is the command interpreter in XP. These
programs are obviously OLD; somewhere in the Windows 95 timeframe. They were
written to run under 16 bit Windows and it's running afoul of some setting
you have in your autoexec.nt file. Have you checked to see what's in there?

In any case, you MAY get it to stop complaining if you highlight the
executable, right click, and choose Porperties, then click the Compatibility
tab and choose the 'Windows 95' entry under the checkbox that says "Run this
program in compatibility mode for:".

"flapjack" wrote:

> As soon as I want to start some CD-ROM programs that I have already loaded
> and used many times, a placard titled "16 bit Windows Subsystem" shows the
> following message:
>
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
> running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
> terminate the application.
> [Close] [Ignore]".
>
> Unable to go further.
> Please Help.