can't read hard drive

cybermatez56

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
I have a hard drive from a windows 8 computer that I am trying to get files from using a windows 7 computer but it cant read the drive

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @cybermatez56!

Can you please provide more details about the systems, though? I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check if the HDD pops up there. Posting some screenshots would be really helpful (e.g. via Imgur). Another thing you should check is if you have the HDD properly connected to the system you are trying to read it from. If it's connected internally via SATA, make sure you have also connected it properly to the PSU via the Molex cable. It's also important to check if the drive is detected in the BIOS as a SATA-connected device. What exactly were the issues that this HDD encountered while in the Windows 8 PC?

Make sure you back up all the important files from it as...
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @cybermatez56!

Can you please provide more details about the systems, though? I'd recommend you go to Disk Management in Windows and check if the HDD pops up there. Posting some screenshots would be really helpful (e.g. via Imgur). Another thing you should check is if you have the HDD properly connected to the system you are trying to read it from. If it's connected internally via SATA, make sure you have also connected it properly to the PSU via the Molex cable. It's also important to check if the drive is detected in the BIOS as a SATA-connected device. What exactly were the issues that this HDD encountered while in the Windows 8 PC?

Make sure you back up all the important files from it as soon as you gain access to them.

Keep me posted with the details & good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution