Question Can't read NVME M.2 Drive but shows in BIOS

nicoting

Prominent
May 20, 2019
Hi all,

My friend is having a problem with his system, his system currently has os(windows 10) installed on ssd sata, and then he bought a WD Green NVME M.2 480GB drive, he installed it on his motherboard(m2a socket/top socket), on his system bios we can see the nvme drive, but we cant see it from NVME Configuration, in windows , we can see it from the Device Manager, but cant see it from the Disk Management, also we tried to reinstall windows 10, but the windows 10 installer cant see the nvme drive too.

MOBO: AORUS B450 PRO WIFI
SSD NVME: WD Green NVME M.2 480GB
SSD SATA: Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB
HDD: 1TB Seagate I think

OBdSVe3.png

BIOS:
HToOzuU.png

Thanks

Last edited:

bishopi5

Distinguished
Have you assigned a drive letter to it? If you just added this to windows for "extra space" without re installing windows on it, you will probably have to assign a path.

1. Ensure that the drive you're relettering isn't in use and that no files from that drive are open.
  2. Right-click on the Start button.
  3. Click Disk Management to open the Disk Management console.
  4. Right-click the volume that has the drive letter you want to change.
  5. Click Change Drive Letter And Paths.
  6. Click the Change button.
  7. Choose from a list of available drive letters. (Don't use A or B, which have historically been reserved for floppy drives and can sometime confuse older software.)
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Yes if a popup windows appears asking if you really want to do this.
  10. Close the Disk Management console.

nicoting

Prominent
May 20, 2019
Have you assigned a drive letter to it? If you just added this to windows for "extra space" without re installing windows on it, you will probably have to assign a path.

1. Ensure that the drive you're relettering isn't in use and that no files from that drive are open.
  2. Right-click on the Start button.
  3. Click Disk Management to open the Disk Management console.
  4. Right-click the volume that has the drive letter you want to change.
  5. Click Change Drive Letter And Paths.
  6. Click the Change button.
  7. Choose from a list of available drive letters. (Don't use A or B, which have historically been reserved for floppy drives and can sometime confuse older software.)
  8. Click OK.
  9. Click Yes if a popup windows appears asking if you really want to do this.
  10. Close the Disk Management console.
Hi,

Thanks for the response but as I said its not visible in Disk Management only in Disk Manager

nicoting

Prominent
May 20, 2019
Go to Device Manager > that drive > Volumes tab and click on populate.
It's essential to have BIOS in UEFI mode and also AHCI on.
We are trying to reinstall OS on that drive, but even the windows installer wasn't able to see that drive, We want to fix it from BIOS, also I tried it to fix from "Control Panel> System and Security > Storage Spaces" tried to "remove" it from there based on researched and "add drives" but wasnt able to complete the action, theres an error. I am wondering if the drive is defective itself. I told him to try it to other pc, still waiting for his reply

nicoting

Prominent
May 20, 2019
If the windows installer can't see the drive at all as a partition then im seriously confused how the bios is.

Try removing it and putting it back in
Tried it many times, I think the drive is broken, Ill update this thread once my friend confirmed it to me. btw thanks for the response

nicoting

Prominent
May 20, 2019
UPDATE: My friend says he tried the ssd on other pc and was able to read the ssd, he confirmed that he was able to see it from the Disk Management, May I know whats the possible cause for this?

Additional Info: his mobo bios version is: F50, checked gigabyte page for latest bios but the latest update is just a support for Ryzen XT version: link
t9Tf7ih.png

Last edited: