[SOLVED] Can't recover any data after formatting by mistake a SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyhleeth

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Hello,

I've made a mistake while reinstalling, after switching 2 sata cables, I've deleted the only partition of my 2tb storage disk while doing a fresh windows 10 install on my 500gb SSD

After seeing this, I remembered that by a quick format you wouldn't loose anything, so I quickly created a partition since I couldn't access the disk after the fresh install was done.

Then Windows tell me that I need to format the disk If I want to access it, I then do a quick format, not a long one, on the disk.

I tried multiple files recovery software (Recuva, Stellar Data Recovery, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, MiniTool Power Data Recovery ...)
All of them can't find anything... except 160 mb of system files. There was at least 1,8tb of files, not 20mb of system files.

Are my files lost? Is it because I deleted the partition by mistake, and not a quick format? Or because I created a partition after deleting one?

I am lost, the suppression of the partition, creation of a new one and quick format didn't event took more than 5 seconds in total. How can all my files be deleted?

Thank you for your time!

Solution
SSD's don't work the same as spinning disks. The instant you deleted the partition the cells occupied by the data were immediately marked as available for garbage collection. Your data is long gone.

USAFRet

Titan
You can try tov make the partion where you think your data may be as active and see if anything pops up.
Partitions on SSD's do not work the same way as they do on HDD's.
There is no "location".

On an HDD, a partition is a physical space on the platter.
On an SSD, a 'partition' is just a visual representation. Where the data actually is in the cells is strictly up to the drive firmware. And it gets shuffled around all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.