Question Can't Reinstall Win 10

May 24, 2019
Hello, I was at first experiencing some network ping spikes on my PC so while trying to fix that I booted into safe mode with networking which made my PC freeze up and lag significantly. I then booted normally and went to settings -> update & security -> recovery -> reset this PC. My computer then booted normally and I got to the windows 10 install screen w/ Cortana where it continuously froze. After several tries I finally got to the Network portion of the Windows 10 install where I was stuck on 'Just a moment' for a day, I assumed at that point I should create a windows recovery drive on a USB and boot from that. I can boot from that and select the 'Repair this computer' option. However, it says there is no problem. I have then gone into the troubleshooting area (when booted in from the flash drive) and tried several commands in command prompt (and checking both my C & D disks) with no luck. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on where I should go from here? I have no idea if there is a hardware problem or a windows 10 problem but any advice is gladly appreciated. I am not sure what version of Win 10 I was running prior to this if that makes any difference. I can attempt to tell you about my processor and motherboard and things of that nature if anyone thinks that could potentially be a problem. Thanks again.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes, do indeed provide as much hardware and system information as you can. You may find some of that information within the computer's spec sheet.

As for Windows: there may be problems but are you still able to launch windows. Not being able to boot is one thing - not being able to reinstall is another.

If you can at least get into Windows open Reliability History/Manager to look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may provide some clue as to what happened and/or is happening.

Event Viewer (more cumbersome) will provide similar information.

Also do you remember what commands you ran via the command prompt?

For the record, any number of things can cause "network spikes". And some of those things are completely out of your control likely being outside of your network.

My concern is that you attempted to fix a transient problem, the wrong problem, or applied an inappropriate fix.

To get back on track more information is needed about your system, what happened, and what you did.

TRENDING THREADS