Can't reinstall Windows 7 after getting virus

ChronoT7

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
My parents got a virus that prevented the computer from booting. Always goes to a black screen with a cursor. Trying to enter safe mode does the same thing. I'm now trying to reinstall the OS, but the computer isn't reading the DVD drive and I can't boot from it. Says no boot device available. Not sure how else to troubleshoot the issue. Any ideas?

Solution
memtest86 is a stand alone program that tests ram.
It does not use an OS so it is a very good way to test functionality pf a pc.

It comes as a usb install or a cd install.
You could try both to see if there is a boot problem with either.

ChronoT7

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
It's the official widows 7 OS disc. Funny thing is it worked yesterday. It could read the disc, but I didn't go through with it because I don't have the time. But now today it won't read it. And it's definitely a virus because there were all these poputs and weird messages, and then I couldnt even open Malwarebytes or do a system restore. So it was something malicious.

ChronoT7

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

I can get into the bios. I don't know what MB it is, as it's a Dell prebuilt. Don't have any paperwork from it.

The bios display may have clues to the model.
If it looks like there are usb3.0 ports then a usb attached dvd will not work.
usb3.0 will have blue colored ports.

Can you download memtest86 to a usb stick or cd and try to boot from that?

As another alternative, buy a sata attached dvd drive and a sata cable.
Temporarily install it(no need to mount to the case) and see if you can boot from there.

ChronoT7

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

What kind of clues am I looking for?

Doesn't have USB 3.0

Would adding a new sata dvd drive do anything? I imagine that's what's installed in there now and it doesn't work (even though I know the drive was functioning prior to this virus). I thinking that whatever the virus is, it's just interfering with the boot up sequence.

Also, what will the memtest do? Are you suggesting the virus could have corrupted the RAM in some way? I'm actually not sure if that's a thing or not.

memtest86 is a stand alone program that tests ram.
It does not use an OS so it is a very good way to test functionality pf a pc.

It comes as a usb install or a cd install.
You could try both to see if there is a boot problem with either.

Solution