Can't Reinstall Windows 7 (URGENT)

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
Hey everyone. I have a computer issue that needs to be solved urgently. Before I begin, these are my specs:

Gateway GT5678 Computer
AMD XFX R7 260X Radeon Graphics Card, (Note: I used to have an ATI Radeon HD 2400XT Graphics Card, but I upgraded it).
300 V Power Supply Cord
Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core Processor
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
(This info is basically in case there's any hardware incompatibilities I didn't know about).

Okay, now for the actual problem. For a long time now I had been having random BSODs and restarts. They weren't particularly frequent, but were nonetheless an annoyance. They never resulted in any damage aside from irritation, and only happened every couple of days, until recently. About six days ago it rapidly would start bluescreening and restarting. First it would only stay on for about 30 minutes at the max. Then it would only stay on for 10. Then 5. Then like 30 seconds. Now it won't even come on. I can't even reach the login screen before it messes up again. I start up the computer, it does it's thing, and then it says "Windows is loading files" with a gray loading bar on the bottom. Then it will either BSOD, restart, or go onto Startup Repair, which does absolutely nothing. Mostly it goes to Startup Repair. BSODs and restarts are pretty rare in specifically this case. I finally ran Startup Repair and it said that my "Boot Configuration was Corrupt".
I finally decided that reinstalling Windows 7 would probably fix it. Now, this is VERY IMPORTANT. I HAVE TO KEEP ALL OF MY DATA FILES. I HAVE TOO MUCH ON HERE TO LOSE. I went into Startup Repair, and chose the startup recovery option, the one that allow you to do this. It was Gateway Startup Recovery. There were three options: One that would completely get rid of everything, one that would reinstall the OS and keep all of my data files, (AKA the one I need to use), and exit. Except, the one I need to use is grayed-out and not selectable. Then, I tried putting in a USB with the actual Windows 7 OS on it. I put it into my USB port, and booted it up from the boot menu. It started up great, and I selected to update since it would keep all of my files. Then it says that Windows must be running in order to run the installation, and told me to take out the USB, login to my computer, and run it from my desktop, except, I can't get to my desktop. Nothing I try seems to work. I need to do one of two things:

1. Make the grayed-out option usable.
2. Find a way to get the Windows 7 reinstallation USB to run somehow, with or without Windows running.

What I want to know is how I could do either of these? I have to quickly too.

I also want to say that I cannot back up my info. Once again, I can't even reach my login screen, and I also don't have anything nearly big enough to hold all of my stuff.
I also seem to have trouble reaching the Advanced boot menu with F8. And alternative to reaching Safe mode would be appreciated.

I'd really appreciate any help you could give me. I've tried everything, and nothing's working. I need this fixed quickly, as I have a lot of stuff to do on this computer. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've had this problem ever since I've had this computer, even with the old graphics card. That's probably important.

You need a better PSU for starters. If you're using a 300W.

A site says you need at least 650 W for that videocard

If you reinstall windows you CAN NOT keep everything. A reinstall means a clean install

Except documents / photos. Programs you install will have to be reinstalled

You boot from the USB flash drive. Altho this depends on how you got Win7 on the flash drive. Whether it'll boot from it

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

I mean that when I try pressing F8 to access the menu with all of the safe mode options and the restore points and whatever else, it doesn't register that I'm pressing F8 and just skips straight over it. It just ignores my pressing and goes to Startup Repair. Either that or the opportunity to enter the menu gets skipped over. I can't get to that menu.
And something I forgot to mention in my report was that when I say I've had this problem for a while, I mean ever since I've had my computer, even with the old graphics card. It still BSODd and such with the old one, so I kind of wrote off the power supply as being the cause. And the new graphics card worked for like 4-5 days before starting to mess up again. This kind of makes me doubtful that it's the power supply. What do you think?

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Yeah, I looked over that. Keep in mind that I said 300 volts, not 300 watts. I believe volts are a higher unit than watts, like how gigabytes are a higher unit than megabytes.
I've looked all around my computer and found two menus with options to only reinstall the OS and keep all other data files. Are you sure that I can't keep everything with a reinstall?
And I don't know how Windows 7 got on the USB. I got sent the USB, I didn't make it.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Do I actually take my hard drive and take it to another computer, or something else? I'm confused.

You cant copy programs or anything else (except pics, contacts for email, documents/txt files) to something else, format windows then put them back again. It would be good if you could BUT you cant!

Programs you install in windows add whatever to the registry. Copying whatever wont do this. So if you did the above, whatever program wouldnt know what to do. Because there's nothing in the registry. To say where whatever is

So, unless you copied the whole registry before you formatted, you cant do the above

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

This seems like a viable fix for my error. Two questions first, though. Will this result in any data loss, and does this change anything I should be concerned with in the computer?
And about the PSU. Do you mean the actual cord that transfers the power or the computer component within the PC? And how do I find out what model of PSU I have so that I can research it more? There's nothing on the outside of my PC to tell me.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Okay, I think I understand what you're saying. So if I was to take a video game or something, back it up, format the computer, then put it back on, it wouldn't work because it's not actually installed on the computer, it's just a file. Whereas documents and such would work because they don't need to be installed on the computer. Am I correct?

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

The problem with that is that my internet is extremely limited, since I'm on a data plan, and it's ridiculously slow. Since most of my games were purchased through Steam, I could just retrieve them from my account and reinstall them on the computer. That's not the problem. But with my internet, it would take months on end to recover just my games. Then there's the photoshop pictures that I've made, and all the progress in my projects. Family photos, etc., all of it would be lost. That's why it's so important to me that I keep my old files. Otherwise I'd just factory reset.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Well, that's great. Like 99% of my games are from Steam.

You wont lose anything by repairing/replacing the MBR, it will restore that part of the boot up. Part of your original post you mentioned "Boot Configuration was Corrupt" which is a bad MBR. If it's just a bad MBR, the computer should start up.

And yes, I mean the unit inside the computer. There should be a label on the side of the PSU itself that will give you the info needed, including, Wattage and Amps on the +12v rail, along with the brand and model.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Okay, I'm repairing the MBR. I came to the point in command prompt where it says to type "cd boot". Since I'm using a USB, the one with Windows 7 on it, would this command be adjusted at all?

Yes, you will use the letter for the USB drive, and then follow the instructions from there.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

The very next command is "cd boot", but I'm using a USB. Would it change to a different command due to this? That's what I meant. My USB is the G: drive too. I'm using that.

In that case, no, nothing different, CD Boot means Change Directory Boot. There should be a folder named "Boot" on the USB drive and you need to access it. Think of it like opening folders in Windows, except it's reduced to text.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

Okay, I typed in all the commands as I was supposed to but it didn't do anything different. I start up my computer, and then startup repair barges in and starts without my permission. I still can't reach the login screen. I let startup repair run and it came out still saying that my boot configuration was corrupt. I believe I did everything correctly. Anything else I can try? Maybe there's another way to accomplish the same thing?
Something that could be worth mentioning is that I'm not currently connected to the internet, reason being that it lowers my startup time extremely. I can connect to the internet, if that would make any difference.
Also, on the page you attached it says that if that fails to restore it, you can try this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392
Should I?

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

I have a USB with repair functions, (it can also reinstall Windows but can't for reasons I've explained, and it also has repair options like system restore and command prompt,) on it instead of a disk. And it allows me to get to command prompt. Is this okay to use instead of a disk?
I don't have any restore points, in case you're wondering. I created a few, but according to system restore I don't have any.

DaWalrus

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015

I typed in all these commands and it didn't fix the boot corruption. Startup repair still claims that the boot configuration is corrupt. In case it matters, everything up until "Bootrec /rebuildbcd" just said that the operation completed successfully, but after "Bootrec /rebuildbcd" it said this:

"Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully"

Not sure if this is of any significance, but I thought it may be.