Can't remove fan base

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I hanvn't been able to remove the black frame srurrounding the CPU which holds the stock fan. I've tried using a plier on the back of the mobo where part of the frame sticks out. Any ideas?
I just got my Thermalright slk-947U HSF and really wanna start enjoying it...

I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Did you remove the white post spreaders that lock the HSF from to the mobo? They are the four white pins in the four corners on the topside of the motherboard.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
No, I tried but couldn't. With what should I remove them?

I'm a nuclear reactor cooling system programmer, if you see me running, it's probably already too late.

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I have the exast same Heatsink as you. I took a precision flathead screwdriver, inserted it under the head of the white pin and slowly levered it up. I used the edge of the frame as a lever. Be careful. My frame was surrounded by capacitor so you must take care not to bend them.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Thanks, that's what I did and it's off.

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Cool. Take care installing the X-plate. Its a great heatsink. I've got my 2.8C running at 3.2 with temps of 42C under load.

TRENDING THREADS