Can't remove .tif files from computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
I have two TIFF images that I can't delete. Whenever I try to delete them, windows explorer freezes. If I try to rename them, it freezes. If I try to use Unlocker or some other file deleting program, the program crashes. I've tried booting in safe mode and that didn't work either.
Any idea what to do? This is on Windows 8.1 Pro

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

While the command prompt didn't crash, it didn't work. I tried it on a couple other files, but when I try it on the tiff images it doesn't do anything, it's been sitting there for about 5 minutes now.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012

Well that's quite unexpected. generally if that can't handle it, then it's a file system issue. If you haven't already, run a chkdsk and see if it lists anything as bad. If so, back up your files (excluding the problem ones) and then run the chkdsk repair operation.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2080276/run-chkdsk-windows.html

Another recommended operation is to run the system repair tool. Which can be done via "SFC /scannow" at the command line.

Hi

Check your hard disk for bad sectors
Most hard disk manufacturers provide diagnostic boot disks available for down load and burning to cd

Do not use chkdsk for this purpose until you have run manufacturers diagnostics and found no hardware HDD problem

If a few bad sectors are found they may be repaired but large number mean the HDD needs replacing asap .
Hirens boot cd contains a selection of HDD diagnostic programs

I hope I am wrong but I can't think of any software explanation for the symptoms

Regards
Mike Barnes

timnswede

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
So I tried running both the Western Digital diagnostic tool, and both the things that pasow recommended and they both came up clean. Maybe I'll just let them sit there until I upgrade to windows 10 when I'll probably do a clean install unless anyone else has any idea what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.