Can't rename folders

I have no trouble creating new folders, they apepar with their default name
'New Folder.' But all of a sudden I can't seem to rename them anything else.
Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

Hi, Marconius.

You didn't say HOW you are trying to rename them. Are you right-clicking
the folder names? Or pressing F2? Or opening a "DOS" window and using the
Ren command?

When you create a "New Folder", you should be able to type the new name you
want if you do it immediately. But if you press Enter first, then "New
Folder" becomes the name and you must Rename it using techniques like those
I mentioned.

It that's not the simple solution you were seeking, post back with more
details.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Marconius" <Marconius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have no trouble creating new folders, they apepar with their default name
> 'New Folder.' But all of a sudden I can't seem to rename them anything
> else.
> Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

I've tried all the usual ways, rightclicking etc. I type in a newe name and
when I hit enter of click ouside the field, I get an error sound and the
folder reverts back to 'New Folder'

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Marconius.
>
> You didn't say HOW you are trying to rename them. Are you right-clicking
> the folder names? Or pressing F2? Or opening a "DOS" window and using the
> Ren command?
>
> When you create a "New Folder", you should be able to type the new name you
> want if you do it immediately. But if you press Enter first, then "New
> Folder" becomes the name and you must Rename it using techniques like those
> I mentioned.
>
> It that's not the simple solution you were seeking, post back with more
> details.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Marconius" <Marconius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have no trouble creating new folders, they apepar with their default name
> > 'New Folder.' But all of a sudden I can't seem to rename them anything
> > else.
> > Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

Hi, Marconius.

That SHOULD work - which you know, of course. :>{

You are not trying to use a disallowed name, are you? Such as a name
already used in that parent folder? (This gives me an error sound and a
screen saying I can't do that.) Or a reserved word, such as Con or Aux?
(This gives me no sound, but the name reverts to New Folder.)

If it's not secret, please tell us the name you want to use and I'll see
what happens when I try that name.

RC
--

> I've tried all the usual ways, rightclicking etc. I type in a newe name
> and
> when I hit enter of click ouside the field, I get an error sound and the
> folder reverts back to 'New Folder'
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
>> Hi, Marconius.
>>
>> You didn't say HOW you are trying to rename them. Are you right-clicking
>> the folder names? Or pressing F2? Or opening a "DOS" window and using
>> the
>> Ren command?
>>
>> When you create a "New Folder", you should be able to type the new name
>> you
>> want if you do it immediately. But if you press Enter first, then "New
>> Folder" becomes the name and you must Rename it using techniques like
>> those
>> I mentioned.
>>
>> It that's not the simple solution you were seeking, post back with more
>> details.
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Marconius" <Marconius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have no trouble creating new folders, they apepar with their default
>> >name
>> > 'New Folder.' But all of a sudden I can't seem to rename them anything
>> > else.
>> > Is there something simple I'm overlooking?

I too recently lost the ability to rename and name folders. The usual right
click, naming the folder when it's created, and clicking the rename option on
the left no longer are options. This is the same for all my folders. This
just started happening.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Marconius.
>
> That SHOULD work - which you know, of course. :>{
>
> You are not trying to use a disallowed name, are you? Such as a name
> already used in that parent folder? (This gives me an error sound and a
> screen saying I can't do that.) Or a reserved word, such as Con or Aux?
> (This gives me no sound, but the name reverts to New Folder.)
>
> If it's not secret, please tell us the name you want to use and I'll see
> what happens when I try that name.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Marconius" <Marconius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've tried all the usual ways, rightclicking etc. I type in a newe name
> > and
> > when I hit enter of click ouside the field, I get an error sound and the
> > folder reverts back to 'New Folder'
> >
> > "R. C. White" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi, Marconius.
> >>
> >> You didn't say HOW you are trying to rename them. Are you right-clicking
> >> the folder names? Or pressing F2? Or opening a "DOS" window and using
> >> the
> >> Ren command?
> >>
> >> When you create a "New Folder", you should be able to type the new name
> >> you
> >> want if you do it immediately. But if you press Enter first, then "New
> >> Folder" becomes the name and you must Rename it using techniques like
> >> those
> >> I mentioned.
> >>
> >> It that's not the simple solution you were seeking, post back with more
> >> details.
> >>
> >> RC
> >>
> >> "Marconius" <Marconius@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

rogerbohl

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I'm not sure when this issue developed, but in the process of eliminating the spaces in file names that was interfering with my use of the "shell" command in FreeBasic, I tried to rename a folder from c:\users\public\OUR DOCUMENTS to OURDOCUMENTS using Windows Explorere and the right-click command. Explorer displayed the new name, but when I went to the command prompt, and typed: dir c:\users\public\*.* the name remained unchanged!!!???

I tried an entirely different new name, but the name continued to appear, in the command prompt, to be unchanged. (Not understanding what may have happened, I undid the rename command.) What is going on???

Roger Bohl