Can't replace graphics card on a Dell Precision T5400 workstation

Aditya_3

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
I have a Dell Precision T5400, I'm trying to replace the graphics card with an nVidia GeForce 7600GS

I replaced the card, powered on, and for a few moments I was in the BIOS screen (using a standard VGA cable).

Then, assuming everything was working I powered down replaced the cover, and powered on. This time nothing appeared on the monitor.

I've tried a different PCIe slot - nothing.

I tried a different card (nVidia 8600GT) - similar thing happened - booted to BIOS, then even booted to windows. But after power down and reboot, screen is blank

I have no more video cards to try, now both of them refuse to work at all. Even though they did both work for a while.

I hear two beeps showing me there is no hardware fault, the hard disk shows activity. On the front panel lights 1,2,3 are lit up, which according to the manual means "video card initializing, watch monitor for further messages"

I'm not sure why this is happening, what else can I try to fix the problem?

Solution
First make sure you have the correct drivers installed for the graphics card, which I presume you've done. Assuming that isn't the problem, check the wattage of you PSU and use a PSU calculator to ensure that it is getting enough power. Also check how many pci-ex16 lanes your processor supports.

Billy_4

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
First make sure you have the correct drivers installed for the graphics card, which I presume you've done. Assuming that isn't the problem, check the wattage of you PSU and use a PSU calculator to ensure that it is getting enough power. Also check how many pci-ex16 lanes your processor supports.

Solution