[SOLVED] Can't resolve 100% disk usage

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020
Hi there.

Have been having 100% disk usage for a few days now and can't resolve it. It's pretty inconsistent, right now it's hovering around 0% to 3% but randomly it'll spike to 100%, particularly around start up. Even a few hours after start up it's still pretty high. The processes which are using the most resources seem to be System and and a number of ServiceHost processes, particularly SysMain. Sometimes Google Chrome and my AntiVirus will also be on top.

I've tried defragmenting and cleaning my disk and checking it for errors, and while it seemed to fix the issue at first it started up again soon after. I've also tried using SeaTools from Seagate to test and repair it, I've run both Fast and Long Scans, and it's apparently fine. I've also tried repairing corrupted Windows files through Command Prompt and that didn't resolve it either.

I feel like I'm going round in circles trying to fix this.

I have a 2 TB Seagate ST2000DM001.

Thanks.

Edit: Should also mention that the lil light below my reset button(?)/next to my power button is blinking red and sometimes it's solid red. It's never turned red and was always only ever amber or yellow, blinking on only a few occasions.

Sean16

Reputable
Feb 24, 2020

I've seen this countless of times.
One of these should work. For me it's always either superfetch or windows search.
Tried a few solutions on there and some others I saw on some other articles but not having any luck.

I recently replaced my fans, both my case fans and CPU fan, and since then I've had the high disk usage issue.

I don't know if that makes a difference, I dunno how replacing the fans could affect the hard drive, but I never had this issue before then.

TRENDING THREADS