[SOLVED] Can't Revert to Older BIOS on Asus ROG Strix Z690-E

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018
The latest BIOS (1720) for my mobo was pushed to me by Windows 11 update. I've been trying to revert to an older version. Problem is, every time I flash the BIOS, I restart, enter the BIOS and save, but then 1720 either gets reflashed by Easy Flash 3 (BIOS Flash utility) as soon as the system restarts or I get a notice to restart to install the update as soon as I hit my Windows 11 desktop. I tried a hard reset (remove power cable and battery, hold power button for 30 seconds to drain capacitors, wait 5 minutes and then reinsert power cable and battery) but I had the same result.

I'm even willing to reinstall Windows 11 (again) and use Windows Update Show/Hide to avoid the update in question, but I don't know if that will stop my mobo reflashing itself...

ROG Strix Z690-E is running an i7-12700F, G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000 (F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5K), Gigabyte RTX 3080, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2.

Thanks for reading.

Solution
EZ flash 3 needs a USB to update BIOS so have you left a USB with bios in a USB slot?
as per page 92 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._ROG_STRIX_Z690_SERIES_BIOS_Manual_EM_WEB.pdf
so unless it crash free bios running from a usb, I don't know where its getting the other BIOS from - it should only know the one you just flashed, it can't remember as such.
Crash free bios on page 93 of above link

Now I wonder if its Armory crate thats running the update.
in the manual, have a look on page 90 and in the bios, maybe disable it.
You might want to remove Armory crate from windows.

i wasn't aware Asus updated bios via windows update.

Colif

Win 11 Master
EZ flash 3 needs a USB to update BIOS so have you left a USB with bios in a USB slot?
as per page 92 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/..._ROG_STRIX_Z690_SERIES_BIOS_Manual_EM_WEB.pdf
so unless it crash free bios running from a usb, I don't know where its getting the other BIOS from - it should only know the one you just flashed, it can't remember as such.

Solution

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

You Sir are a genuis! It seems like it was Armory Crate. I've removed it, flashed BIOS 1601 and it's stuck.

I couldn't work out where it would be flashing 1720 from either, since I didn't have any USB drives connected to the system (I'd removed the one with 1601 as soon as it was done transferring each time. TBH if someone else had told me about this problem I would have been inclined to respond "are you sure?"

Really glad to have it sorted, thanks for figuring it out :)