[SOLVED] Can't run at 3600Mhz

May 21, 2020
Hey guys, I built my computer last May 13, 2020 and here are the components:

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI RTX 2080 Super Gaming Trio
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16GB 3600Mhz (2x8)
ADATA XPG6000 1TB m.2
Seasonic Focus 750w Gold Modular

So first things first, I updated to the latest BIOS version (beta), turned on my XMP and games are crashing. Almost all of them (CS:GO, Valorant, Apex, Warzone)
When its 3400mhz the games are stable. So I tried lowering my BIOS version (released last january) I thought It was working fine, but I noticed some stuttering while using google chrome (2 tabs facebook and YouTube)
and when I tried to play CS:GO, it crashed again. So now what I just did was put it on 3200Mhz and set the timings to 18-18-18-18-38T.
I'm not sure if it has something to do with the motherboard or what.

Any thoughts about this?

Last edited:
Solution
First run on XMP, then afterwards if there are NO issues, go ahead tighten them up, those are still nice ram.

FYI - I'm headed off to bed! :p
May 21, 2020
So BIOS > Restore to default > Restart to BIOS > Enable XMP and set voltage to 1.45?
I'm just making sure cos i've been clearing my cmos for like 8 times already lol

May 21, 2020
Yes, the DRAM voltage. Just to see if it stabilizes with higher voltage.
1.45v = cant even get to log in screen..
1.43v = same..
1.41v = boots up but crashing
1.39v = same..
1.38v = launches fine but not sure yet if i play any games UPDATE google chrome stutters
1.37v = looks fine to me but i havent tried any games yet cant even run apex
1.36v = played 5 mins of apex then crashed

should i run memtest86 instead?

Last edited:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
If you are crashing like mad there is not much point in running memtest I'd say. Try again with one dimm at a time. Lets see if it works and if there is a difference between the modules you got.
Problem couly still be with the memory controller on the cpu or with the board.

May 21, 2020
If you are crashing like mad there is not much point in running memtest I'd say. Try again with one dimm at a time. Lets see if it works and if there is a difference between the modules you got.
Problem couly still be with the memory controller on the cpu or with the board.

Okay so I did not tried this before (I think) but I played apex with no crash with 1.35v.
IF it crashes with any games I will go back to this thread.. I won't celebrate yet lol. I'll try the A2 slot if it crashes and update you..

also is memtest86 recommended now since it is somehow stable?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Okay so I did not tried this before (I think) but I played apex with no crash with 1.35v.
IF it crashes with any games I will go back to this thread.. I won't celebrate yet lol. I'll try the A2 slot if it crashes and update you..

also is memtest86 recommended now since it is somehow stable?
Yes, absolutely run it. Takes a while though.
Good luck. Lets see if you are good now.

Reactions: mctrader07

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Ok, from what we know right now it seems your cpu or your board can not handle 3600 mhz. Most likely the board. Official memory support on b450 is roundabout 2933?

Drop your memory to 3400 or even 3200, keep the timings from xmp. If it feels stable, run memtest. If the sticks come up ok, and I am pretty sure they will, you can try to tighten timings manually using dram calculator and thats it.

Reactions: mctrader07
May 21, 2020
Ok, from what we know right now it seems your cpu or your board can not handle 3600 mhz. Most likely the board. Official memory support on b450 is roundabout 2933?

Drop your memory to 3400 or even 3200, keep the timings from xmp. If it feels stable, run memtest. If the sticks come up ok, and I am pretty sure they will, you can try to tighten timings manually using dram calculator and thats it.

But my board is X570 hmm.
Anyway I tried this timings idk which one is better.
3400mhz with 18-20-20-20-40 Timings
3200mhz with 18-18-18-18-38 Timings
*These are stable so far.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
There's no error in memtest..
Cool, then it has something to do with the board or the memory controller of the cpu.
We now got 2 options left:
  • check if your bios is up to date. If not, you might solve the issue with a newer version
  • stick with a stable frequency and tighten timings by hand. If you can run 3400 cl 14 for example you are still equally good or better as your xmp profile. You might need typhoon burner and ryzen dram calculator for that. Both tools are free.

May 21, 2020
Cool, then it has something to do with the board or the memory controller of the cpu.
We now got 2 options left:
  • check if your bios is up to date. If not, you might solve the issue with a newer version
  • stick with a stable frequency and tighten timings by hand. If you can run 3400 cl 14 for example you are still equally good or better as your xmp profile. You might need typhoon burner and ryzen dram calculator for that. Both tools are free.

I also did that before..
First I update to the latest BIOS which is the beta but then I downgraded to 1 version before that.
Second is I can run these timings so far, If I go below my computer won't boot up.
3400mhz with 18-20-20-20-40 Timings
3200mhz with 18-18-18-18-38 Timings

There's one thing I haven't tried yet.. XMP on and Game Boost mode on in BIOS.
Currently my
CPU Core Voltage is at 1.41V
CPU Soc Voltage is at 1.12 and CPU Core Voltage is at 45c. I was wondering if that's normal or no?

BUT I should be able to run 3600mhz without Game Boost right?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
You could try SoC voltage @ 1.15-1.20. If that doesn't work, either your motherboard is too noisy or you lost the silicon lottery when it comes to Internal Memory Controllers. :)
In some instances...lowering SoC voltage has helped as well, to be honest.

May 21, 2020
You could try SoC voltage @ 1.15-1.20. If that doesn't work, either your motherboard is too noisy or you lost the silicon lottery when it comes to Internal Memory Controllers. :)
In some instances...lowering SoC voltage has helped as well, to be honest.

It seems like Game Mode on + XMP on at the same time works for me..
I'm just worried now about the temperature, right after I played 1 long game of warzone, i got 78c.
When Idle I think I'm getting 40-50c. IS that normal?

View: https://imgur.com/TRvWsPr

View: https://imgur.com/IgbJaV3

May 21, 2020
I'd try dialing down the Vcore voltage until it becomes unstable, then bump it up a notch or two. That could save you a good deal of heat.
AMD's chips generally idle around 40-60 degrees, not unusual.
So I’ll start changing the vcore voltage 1.20v then decrease by increments of 0.01?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
If you can get your hands on some of these sticks, they are just drop in 3200 MHz speed and with good timings, which you can try and tighten as you like(These are just my favorites):
F4-3200C14D-16GVK
F4-3200C14D-16GFX

If you are willing to fiddle with timings and MHz yourself, a lot of people seem to like the Patriot Viper 4400Mhz and 4000MHz, supposedly they are Samsung B-Die.
I have NOT tried these sticks, so I don't know how well they take to tighter timings.
But in your case, you could downclock them and squeeze tighter timings out of them, be aware that you are forced to fiddle with them as you CANNOT boot on these sticks via XMP, they are simply too high bandwidth:

PVS416G440C9K
PVS416G400C9K

Also, tightening RAM is quite an undertaking in patience, with decent results if you're willing to give it a shot.

Further have you downloaded Ryzen Dram Calculator?(This link is directly for downloading the file, don't panic :p)

Hardware Unboxed has a somewhat decent video on how to proceed, there are many other videos out there I'm betting, but I*m subscribed to these guys, so it's just the first one that comes to mind. Wait, Gamers Nexus probably also has a few videos.