Can't Run Default Programs Off Of SSD After Migration

mrpepperftw

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
After fixing my SSD migration problem I have another.
All of my data has been copied completely to new SSD from my HDD and both have exactly the same files. The only problem is I cannot run programs off of my HDD, for example: I have Epic Games Launcher (Don't judge just first program I thought to delete) and I deleted it on my SSD, but when I try to run it says the file is misplaced. This is understandable but I also have the Epic Games Launcher on my HDD, is there any way to make programs boot off of the HDD again? I don't want to manually redirect every program as I want my SSD to be clean and my HDD to be used for everything else.

PC SPECS:
Ryzen 5 1600
Zotac GTX 1070-Mini
8GB RAM @2400Hz
SanDisk SSD PLUS 480GB
1TB HDD (Not sure of brand)

Solution
If you did the clone properly, everything from the HDD should now reside on the SSD. Everything.
There is no need to, and you cannot, run the applications that live on the old HDD.
This includes the Epic Games Launcher.

After this clone operation, you then wipe the HDD of everything...all partitions...resulting on one blank space.
You then use it as desired.

You actually DO want your applications on the SSD. That's why we have them, to run things fast.

USAFRet

Titan
If you did the clone properly, everything from the HDD should now reside on the SSD. Everything.
There is no need to, and you cannot, run the applications that live on the old HDD.
This includes the Epic Games Launcher.

After this clone operation, you then wipe the HDD of everything...all partitions...resulting on one blank space.
You then use it as desired.

You actually DO want your applications on the SSD. That's why we have them, to run things fast.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

First, you verify:

Power OFF
Disconnect the HDD
Power ON

Does it boot correctly?
Probably, yes.

If so, then you DELETE all partitions on that HDD. All of them, leaving one blank space.
The fastest way is through the commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

(Be absolutely sure what drive you're accessing when doing this)