Cant run explorer.exe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sea snake

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Whenever I try to open my computer, the control panel or anything at all I get this message:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate
permissions to access the item.

in the title it says: Explorer.EXE

This happened after a clean installation of windows. I tried re-installing it again and it still happens.
I booted in safe mode and I checked the permissions for explorer.exe and only administrator has full control
and all other users have almost no control and I can't change permissions. I don't have any other firewalls
or anti-virus programs, only what came with the original windows 7 ultimate installation.

Anyone have a clue as to how I can fix this?

whoodal

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

whoodal

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

test123111

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

Thank you so much. This worked for me.

soundofthunder

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Hi
I am fighting on my WS 2008 R2 with exactly this problem.
Unfortunately, I can not modify some permissions.
The System and administrators are correctly positionned to full control but the Owner is with special and then permission box's are greyed - can not be modified. Even if they are all tocked, the permission applies to subfolders and files!!!!
And my problem of not being able to lunch explorer, CTRL Panel and so on, is still there.
Any help, suggestion would be very much appreciated, so please send your comments as soon as you can.
I rebooted in safe mode, create a new administrator, took ownership ... nothing changes...
Eb