Question Can't run EXPO without program crashes and errors

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
My first Ryzen build, 7600X on Asus B650m Plus WiFi and a 32GB kit of G-Skill Z5 Neo EXPO 6000 CL30 RAM.

My game of choice is Microsoft Flight Simulator, and I cannot get the game to run more than a few minutes without a CTD. I was trying to overclock my new GPU, so after several days I gave up and set Afterburner to stock values and still instant crash to desktop.

I ran the GPU and CPU through OCCT with no issues, but when I hit the RAM with the test, a million errors right away. I am running EXPO profile for 6000 CL30, no custom BS attempted. If I manually set the RAM to 5600, no errors. If I set the EXPO to AUTO instead, the kit runs at 6000 CL50, with no errors. What I cannot get is $260 6000 CL30. Being new to AMD, the whole concept of a platform specific (EXPO) memory clock not working is beyond me. I am searching and reading about memory training, and people complaining how long it takes. My BIOS pops up instantly, no idea how to do memory training, and google searches lead nowhere.

I have until January 31st to return this RAM to Amazon and get a crap $90 16GB 4800 kit or something stupid, but I didn't take the plunge into AM4 just to throttle the whole damn thing. Hoping someone has some advice that might help :(

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, I saw on the list before purchasing, and ASUS doesn't list any EXPO kits on the QVL, and the fastest RAM they do list is 6000 CL32, but it is a $380 RGB glitter kit so I passed on that.

While playing around with BIOS options, and bricking the MB, I located an Infinity Fabric DDR timing EXPO sub sub sub menu in the secondary OC menu. I set it to enable EXPO there and selected the EXPO profile again with "active timing settings", it rebooted 3 times now seems to pass OCCT OK. Is this the hidden retraining submenu option?

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
Whatever made the memory not error went away on the next boot, back to errors and inability to run the sim.

For S's and G's, I checked the QVL of another Asus mATX board, the X670E Gene, and no EXPO kits listed. Does Asus support EXPO QVL kits for ANY of their boards? They put it in the BIOS, but don't QVL EXPO, so I am at a loss. I tried dropping the latency alone to 32 to see what would happen, but that bricked the MB. Should i just return these things or would it be expected that Asus would QVL this pretty popular and heavily publisized Z5 neo "sweet spot" it in a future BIOS update?

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
So, after lots of testing, simply setting RAM speed to 5800 instead of 6000, makes it work flawless in tests and game in EXPO 1 and EXPO 2. I don't understand the Infinity Fabric and gears, but maybe the 1:1 thing you enter when you hit 6000MHz on the RAM is broken for this combo at the moment?

Paul