Can't run Powershell or cmd.exe as administrator

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
In the past I've been able to run powershell and command prompt as administrator. Tried today and can't. I don't know how long I've been unable to run either as administrator, it's been a few months since I opened either of them. I can open both not as administrator, but when I try to open them as administrator, nothing happens. No error message, nothing. I log into the computer with a user account that has administrative rights. There's only one user for this computer, and that user account is the administrator. I ran sfc /scannow (in safe mode, the only way I could run it since it has to be run in cmd as administrator) and it didn't find anything wrong. The only recent change to the computer I can think of is the Creators update that I did 2 weeks ago. I've tried opening cmd through Task Manager ("create this task with administrative privileges"), cmd opens, but not as administrator. I've made a shortcut to cmd.exe, but can't get it to run as administrator. I go into advanced properties of the shortcut and put a checkmark next to "Run as administrator", then click "okay". When I go back into advanced, the checkmark is gone... Why can't I run cmd or powershell as administrator?

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I don't have a Powershell icon on the taskbar, but if I do a search for it (taskbar bottom left), it'll show up as a "desktop app", if I then right click on it and select "Run as administrator", nothing happens. If I left click on it, it'll open. The same thing happens if I do a search for cmd. I'll get Command Prompt, desktop app. I right click on it, select "Run as administrator", nothing happens. I left click on it, it opens.

Ralston18

Titan
Thanks.

Use WIN + R to open the Run Window.

In the Open field type "secpol.msc" without quotes.

Select Local Policies > Security Options.

Scroll down User Account Control settings.

May be a matter of reestablishing some elevated privileges.....

To be honest not sure which/what needs to be enabled. But looking at the settings would be a good start I think.

Ralston18

Titan
What about WIN + X per the following link (Option 5):

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/25581-open-windows-powershell-windows-10-a.html

Then there are the other options within the link. You have already tried a couple of them as I understand it all.

Gave my Windows 10 Home system to a family member some months ago. So apologies that I have no way to test my (or an) suggestions per se.

Will look into Creators update to see if some change has been made with respect to Powershell.

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
This is strange. When I do WIN + X, I can't open everything that's listed in the box. I can't open the following:

Event Viewer
Device Manager
Disk Management
Computer Management
PowerShell
PowerShell (Admin)
Task Manager
File Explorer

When I click on any of the above, the box closes, but nothing happens (the other items listed in the box open normally). If I do a search for the above items, I'll find them, click on them, they open. PowerShell will open, but won't open if I right click it and try to open it as administrator.

Ralston18

Titan
Interesting.

However to be a bit more (hopefully) helpful here. Check the following link:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-fix-broken-powershell-in-windows-10-creators-update/

Or this link:

https://superuser.com/questions/1199605/powershell-font-terminal-is-broken-after-windows-10-creators-update/1199610#1199610

I googled "Creators Update Powershell problems" and searched via "Past year". Does seem that there are problems between Creators Update and Powershell.

E.g.,

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-creators-update-problems-issues
Try the same search criteria to start and then refine and narrow as you learn more about the problem especially with respect to your Windows 10 Home configuration.

With any luck there may be a solution applicable to your situation. Otherwise you (and others) may just need to wait it out until Microsoft fixes things.

Mike-7

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
Thanks for trying to help.
I tried changing the fonts as suggested in the links you supplied, but that didn't work. I didn't try uninstalling and reinstalling .net framework.

I have been able to (sort of) fix the problem. This folder: C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX contains shortcuts to all of the programs that are in the Win X menu. All of the shortcuts work to open the programs, including the programs that won't open in the menu. Including both PowerShell and cmd as administrator. So I've copied the 2 shortcuts for PowerShell (administrator) and cmd (administrator) on to the desktop, and can now open them from there. There must be something screwed up in my taskbar search and the Win X menu.