Question Can't run Windows from NVMe SSD ?

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Hi all.
I have a B450 Gaming Plus Max with the latest bios on it, and I've bought a nvme from crucial, the model is P2 with 500Gb.
The issue is, I can start install windows on it but after the first boot during the installation (after the file copy), the bios don't recognise the drive as a bootable drive. If I use my old Sata SSD it works just fine.
Is there any way to solve this issue? I've tried installing windows in CSM and in UEFI but no luck. The NVMe SSD is shown in bios but not as a bootable drive. I have the latest BIOS.
I'm installing from a bootable usb pen drive, windows 11.
I can get to this part of the installation:

du5mF.png

In the end, it promps for a reboot and if I disconnect the usb pen drive it states that there is no bootable drive even if the NVMe SSD is selected in bios as 1st device to boot.

Windows boot manager is shown in BIOS if I install Windows on my old sata ssd, but when I install on the NVMe SSD it won't.

Regards,

Are there any other related options in your motherboard UEFI for PCI-E bootable device, etc. ? I had an issue on my old X99 board that required a setting for PCI-E boot, besides the usual CSM, etc. I had a Samsung 950 Pro NVMe that needed this setting enabled to fully install Windows on that setup.

The issue is, I can start install windows on it but after the first boot during the installation (after the file copy), the bios don't recognise the drive as a bootable drive. If I use my old Sata SSD it works just fine.
Is there any way to solve this issue?
  1. Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
  2. Clean target drive before installing windows onto it. Use diskpart clean method. Press Shift+F10, after booting from windows installation media, to open command prompt.
ka03A000000mKf2QAE__11.jpg

If you have other drives connected with existing bootloader on them, then new bootloader on your new drive doesn't get created. It doesn't get made bootable.

If drive, you're installing windows on, is already pre-partitioned, then existing partitioning may be incompatible with getting drive made bootable or installing windows in selected mode (legacy or UEFI).
That's why it's recommended to clean it before windows install.