[SOLVED] Can't save boot configuration in MSCONFIG

isamuelson

Distinguished
I just recently installed a new SSD and installed the latest version of Windows 10 (1903) on it. My previous version on a normal HDD is Windows 10 1703. Under either version, I cannot modify the Boot configuration. If I try to save it, it gives this error message:

System Configuration cannot save the original boot configuration for later restoration. Boot changes will be reverted.

The handle is invalid.

I've ran MSCONFIG as admin, I've rebooted into safe mode under both versions of Windows 10, etc and nothing allows it to save.

Also, under the General tab, it's always Selective Startup with all three check boxes checked. If I switch it ti Normal startup, it tells me to reboot but reverts back to the Selective Startup setting.

No services are disabled/unchcecked in the Services tab. But I would think that with a brand-new install of Windows 10, it should be at Normal but it's not. Not sure why I cannot save the boot configuration unless something is wrong with the original install of Windows 10 (1703) that has the boot configuration corrupted? I've searched high and low for answers and nothing has fixed it.

The reason I want to modify the boot configuration is the boot menu. I had purchased another SSD earlier but it failed within 2 days after installing Windows 10 on it so now I have 3 menu items (the latest install, the previous install on the crashed SSD, and the older install on my normal HDD). I want to get rid of the menu item from the crashed SSD but it won't save it giving the error I listed above.

Thanks!

Solution
Well, I finally decided to unhook all my drives except my SSD and install Windows 10 fresh. This created a new system/boot partition thereby rendering the previous one obsolete. I believe it was more than likely created from a Windows 7 install a long time ago.

After finishing installing Windows 10 on the SSD drive, I then hooked up the rest of my drives again and the old boot partition was assigned a drive letter. I was able to remove that and claim back the paltry 1.3gb of space. :)

But now I am able to make changes to the boot configuration and save them, so definitely the issue was something to do with the older boot partition being corrupted in some way possibly or because it was originally created by Windows 7.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Well, I finally decided to unhook all my drives except my SSD and install Windows 10 fresh. This created a new system/boot partition thereby rendering the previous one obsolete. I believe it was more than likely created from a Windows 7 install a long time ago.

After finishing installing Windows 10 on the SSD drive, I then hooked up the rest of my drives again and the old boot partition was assigned a drive letter. I was able to remove that and claim back the paltry 1.3gb of space. :)

But now I am able to make changes to the boot configuration and save them, so definitely the issue was something to do with the older boot partition being corrupted in some way possibly or because it was originally created by Windows 7.

Last edited:
Solution