Can't Search or Index, completely disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hello,
So I've discovered that I am completely unable to search for files in Windows 8 upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro which I was not having this problem with. I am logged in as Admin.

Typing on the Start screen does not bring up the search window automatically.
The Search Charm does not let me choose what to search. Will only search apps.
"Windows key" and "X" then "Search" will not respond, clicking it does nothing.
Control Panel, Index Options will not respond, clicking it does nothing.

I seem to be completely locked out or something. Any help would be appreciated. Forum searches and Google searches did not bring up any results for this that I saw.

Solution
ibjeepr,

I found if you go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> on the left side there is an option to "turn windows features on or off". Go into that and you should be able to fix that issue... that's how I fixed mine

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Go to your start menu and find the run command window (alternatively press Windows button + r)

type: "services.msc" (without quotation marks) and press enter.

Find "Windows Search" on the list and make sure it is set to "started" and "automatic"

do the same thing with "indexing service", though this might also be found if you right click on your harddrive and press

"properties" - make sure that "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" is enabled.

I don't know ape about Windows 8, but I assume that these commands are the same.

Hope this helps ;)

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ok, thanks. I'll give that a shot as soon as I get home from work.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows Search service or Indexing service in my Service.msc.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

shazzmuzik

Honorable
May 5, 2013
ibjeepr,

I found if you go into Control Panel -> Programs & Features -> on the left side there is an option to "turn windows features on or off". Go into that and you should be able to fix that issue... that's how I fixed mine

Solution

Jeppe Andersen

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thanks that helped me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.