Can't see DVD drive

hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Hi,

I just gutted my Dell and rebuilt my system using a new Asus CUSLC-2 motherboard with an Enlight case and power supply. The problem I have is that the system can't recognize my DVD drive.

My hard drive is plugged into IDE 1 and I have the DVD on IDE 2. In BIOS, I've tried explicitly setting IDE2 to CD ROM rather than Auto, but no luck.

Without the DVD I can't load the drivers for my cards so the system is hosed and wallowing in Safe Mode.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
It would seem that it has to be either a loose power supply connection, a loose ribbon cable connection or an incorrect jumper setting. Assuming of course that the DVD is not broken and the ribbon cable orientation is correct (ie red stripe is oriented to pin 1). Most likely it was a slave in the old set up and you need to change the jumper to master. Also it's good idea to use connector at the end of the cable.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile:

hasui

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2001
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The DVD works fine in DOS but doesn't in Win 98 B where the Plug & Play is unable to recognize the IDE controller properly and the DVD attached to it.

I'm facing a chicken and egg scenario of needing to read the drivers from the CD which I can't as the drivers haven't been loaded properly to use the drive.

I thought this only happenned mounting things in Unix :(

thanks

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
If it works in DOS, then copy the drivers to the HDD and install them from there.

:smile: <font color=green>I wonder...what is the speed of gravity!<font color=green> :smile: