Can't see external hard drive in xp

Got a 120 gig usb maxtor hard drive hooked up to a 1.0 usb port.

shows up in device manager but not in my computer or disk management.

This drive has data that i need to retrieve for a client.
tried reinstalling and searched for an xp patch

was originally connected to an xp system and worked fine but now it has the
same problem on that system as well.

any help greatly appreciated
--
Hayward

I have a similar problem. My computer has an external 160GB drive which has
data on it. I had to re-install Windows. Now the drive shows up, I can see
the folders on the drive, but cannot open them. I get a dialog message saying
the folder "is not accessible. Access is denied".

Someone on another thread said something about "rights" for the drive but I
don't know what that means.

Any help appreciated.

"Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Got a 120 gig usb maxtor hard drive hooked up to a 1.0 usb port.
>
> shows up in device manager but not in my computer or disk management.
>
> This drive has data that i need to retrieve for a client.
> tried reinstalling and searched for an xp patch
>
> was originally connected to an xp system and worked fine but now it has
> the
> same problem on that system as well.
>
> any help greatly appreciated
> --
> Hayward

I've run into a few drives that didn't play well with usb enclosures. Try
plugging it in internally and see if that works. Otherwise, you're probably
going to have to start researching data recovery software.

It may also be that the drive has died.

> I have a similar problem. My computer has an external 160GB drive which
has
> data on it. I had to re-install Windows. Now the drive shows up, I can see
> the folders on the drive, but cannot open them. I get a dialog message
saying
> the folder "is not accessible. Access is denied".
>
> Someone on another thread said something about "rights" for the drive but
> don't know what that means.
>
> Any help appreciated.

You would need to be logged on as a user with "administrator rights" on the
system that the drive was originally formatted/used in order to be able to
look at it, if the drive's rights are restricted. If the security is messed
up, (assuming you can "see it" in Explorer), try creating a new "share" for
the drive (right click on the drive on Explorer, chose "sharing" (or
"properties" and then "sharing"), create a new share with any name, etc....)
and then set the permissions to "everyone" under the new share name to see
if it works. NTFS volumes are quite "tight" on security issues. Usually,
though, if you are an "administrator" on the system, you should be able to
see it. Moving drives between computers can sometimes mess up the
sharing/permission info, depending on what one tries to do.

CG

SAGAR GOHOKAR

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hello there,

This is Sagar. I am currently facing problem similar to what its mentioned above. I will describe my problem more specifically:

I have Westen Digital Harddisk 1TB and trying to connect to my Wipro laptop (WinXp Professional SP2). It shows a drive has appeared. When I try to open it says "Need to format". I also changed its drive name to "M" after referring to random website's solution but all in vain. I can open this hard disk in on other PC's.

Can you please help as I have very important data in it & I don't want to lose it?

Thanks in advance,

Sagar Gohokar.
sagar.gohokar@gmail.com