Can't see HDD in My Computer but I can see it in Device Manager

Brock Gerald

Reputable
May 2, 2014
I just built a new computer and I am a newbie so I think I just missed a step when setting up my hard drives. I installed my OS onto my SSD and when I went onto my computer I noticed that my other 1 TB harddrive wasn't showing in "my Computer." I went to go format it in the Disk Management and it says "Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk." Down below it shows for "Disk 0: (System Reserved 100MB NTFS) and (931.41 GB Unallocated). Did I miss a step when first firing up?

Solution
Ok, I did this. Now the hard drive shows up as "Local Disk (E:)" and it says 95.9 MB free of 96.0 MB underneath. When I go to disk manager it shows the hard drive, but it still has the "931.41 GB Unallocated." Any other ideas?

edit: Nevermind. I got it. Thanks for the help.

trekzone

Honorable
Mar 31, 2014
Hi,
I think you've missed to disconnect your HDD when you install your OS into your SSD. It seems that the system uses the boot information from the 100MB partition of your HDD to load your OS. Try doing a fresh install of your OS into your SSD while the HDD is disconnected from your system. Or just simply disconnect your HDD and do a Windows startup repair to your SSD.

Brock Gerald

Reputable
May 2, 2014
Ok, I did this. Now the hard drive shows up as "Local Disk (E:)" and it says 95.9 MB free of 96.0 MB underneath. When I go to disk manager it shows the hard drive, but it still has the "931.41 GB Unallocated." Any other ideas?

edit: Nevermind. I got it. Thanks for the help.

Solution