Question Can't see if my SSHD is using RST caching acceleration or not.

Apr 19, 2019
Hi,

I've recently bought a Dell G3 15 for entry-level gaming and I'm getting very poor disk performance.

It comes with an SSHD (SATA disk 932 Gb) which is supposed to use Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) to accelerate disk performance.

When I open the RST interface, I don't see the "accelerate" option, nor "enable caching" in the performance tab (just the Link Power Management part is shown).

I've seen reports of people saying it is linked to the SSD part being partitioned incorrectly (I didn't do the OS installation myself), but when I check my Disk Manager I only have one disk, with partitions C : (929.77Gb) being used at around 50%, a (Disk 0 partition 1) 650MB partition which is 100% free and labeled EFI system partition and WINRETOOLS which is used at 58%.

Do I have to do something with the EFI partition or will I break something in the process? Every solution I came across had multiple disks in the manager. Is it because I have a SATA?

Return policy ends in a few days, help!

A SSHD has a SSD part built into it, usually about 8GB in size, and it totally managed by the Hard Driver Firmware and NOTHING else. You can't see if it is working, you can tell it what to put on the SSD part either.

How have you tested your disk performance? I have an old SSHD (like one of the first Seagate generations. Maybe the second) 750GB and it does run after than a normal hard drive for me.

The whole RST disk accelerations is when you install a hard drive, and then a smaller SDD as well, and set it up. It will show two drives that way and are RAIDed together. a SSHD is one contained unit that shows as one drive.