cant see one partition in external HDD

br945

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I have recently taken a new PC with win 8.1.

My old PC had win xp.

My old HDD had two partitions C: and D:.

Now when accessing the old HDD as an external disk, I can find the first partition C: but in place of partition D: , it does not show at all and size shown is 0. ( 0 used and 0 available)

the files and folders are obviously not seen too.
what can be wrong and how do i access this partition again.
request someone with specific advice to inform me how to resolve this.

thanks.

Hi there br945,

In my view, the first thing you need to do is to just back up the most important data on your C: partition.
After that, you can go to Disk Management,as just i7Baby, already suggested and see how the drive appears over there. My guess would be that you will need to use some partition recovery tool in order to access the data stored on it.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

br945

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

ScreenShot136.jpg.html

ScreenShot136.jpg

ScreenShot137.jpg

br945

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

sorry i did not understand at first.
here is the disk management screenshot.
thank you very much for your effort.

ScreenShot139.jpg

br945

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

kindly see against I: in the disk management screenshsot.
It says capacity and free space both as same. in fact the second partition (now I:) is practically 70-80% occupied.
kindly see the previous image which shows used space and free space both as zero.
pl see the message i got on double-clicking I:
ScreenShot140.jpg

br945

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

no sir, please see other screen shots and my comments.
that partition is about 70-80% full, not 100% free.

by the way, i just tried to check with Recuva software and it shows very many files which are recoverable. Just wonder how the software is able to access the files.

ideally, i would like to see the entire partition as it was with all folders etc. as the files were categorised into folders.

thank you for your patience.

thanks.

p.s. please see windows explorer in previous comment where there is blank against I: in total size as well as free space.